3 Questions about Force Table - Need someone to check my answers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aransaja
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Table
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
Aransaja
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello

I have an assignment to do about the force table.
I'm not sure about my answers, hope someone could check it for me if I answered correctly.

1.What kind of forces do you use on the force table? Explain about the used forces.

Resultant force, Equilibrant and Weight.
-Resultant force is a single force which has the same effect on an object as two or more forces are acting on that object.
-Equilibrant is a single force, which holds a whole system of concurrent forces in equilibrium.
-Weight = mg (where m=mass of an object and g = gravitational acceleration)


2.Why does the ring need to be centered at the post on the force table in finding the equilibrant?

Because if it's not centered the direction of force on the force table will be incorrect.

3.In a certain experiment using a force table, the system is in equilibrium at the center post with four forces are acting on the center ring and all forces are not in straight-line positions. If equal weights are taken away from each hanger, should the system be still in equilibrium at the same position? Explain.

Yes, the system would still be in equilibrium because there is still the same amount of forces acting on each string.


Yep, these are my answers. They look soo short to me. That's why it makes me feel so unsure with my answers. Is there something I forgot and didn't mentioned?
And most important are my answers right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Aransaja!
I think you have #1 well in hand. I would have said "gravitational forces" so you are way ahead of me.
I don't understand #2 at all. When my students did this experiment, they never had a post for the ring. The key to the whole thing is that the ring does not move, so according to F=ma, the total force (your equilibrant) is zero. We used spring scales instead of weights. I don't know the details of your apparatus, but if you are using hanging weights you must have pulleys to reduce friction at the bend in the strings. Could it be that all the pulleys are "aimed" at the post and therefore the ring must be at the post to prevent horizontal bending of the strings at the pulleys, resulting in friction?
For #3, if you reduced each weight by half, it would stay in equilibrium. But if you reduce each by 1 kg, it will be thrown out of balance. Say you have masses of 2 kg, 3 kg, and 4 kg and reduce each by 1. These are 50%, 33% and 25% reductions so the forces will no longer add up to zero.