30-day Topological Quantum challenge

In summary, the conversation is about a motivational thread for reading Steve Simon's TopoBook in 30 days. The speaker is confident that they can complete the book, despite its length and density, and plans to post updates on their progress. A commenter questions the effectiveness of this challenge, but the speaker remains determined. They also mention having other responsibilities but still plan to dedicate three times the amount of time typically given for one university course.
Replusz
Hey everyone,
This is more of a motivational thread, and of course if anyone wants to join in, please do! Any comments are welcome. It's also fine if no one comments.
Maybe don't remove the thread though please. I hope this might be useful later on for others as motivation.

So the challenge is to get through Steve Simon's TopoBook (http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/SteveSimon and http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/SteveSimon/topological2019/TopoBook-Feb10.pdf) in the next 30 days. I have some knowledge of undergrad Physics, so it should be doable. I am in exam term though, so I don't want to rush it - 30 days seems a lot.
I will post every day, or every few days about where I am in the book and what the most interesting things were, or what puzzled me. Feel free to drop comments or join me for this challenge.

Likes atyy and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you can go through a 355 page dense textbook in 30 days and come out with anything other than a surface level understanding? A good challenge would be chapters 1-7 in that book in 30 days, and even that is pushing it in my opinion!

Either way, good luck!

Likes Replusz, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
romsofia said:
Why do you think you can go through a 355 page dense textbook in 30 days and come out with anything other than a surface level understanding? A good challenge would be chapters 1-7 in that book in 30 days, and even that is pushing it in my opinion!

Either way, good luck!
Thank you!
:)

At University this counts as one course, assuming 3-4 courses a term, one has 2-3 weeks for it. However I do have some other stuff to do, so I am giving it 3x the time.
Thanks again! :)

1. What is the "30-day Topological Quantum challenge"?

The "30-day Topological Quantum challenge" is a scientific challenge that involves solving a series of problems related to topological quantum physics within a 30-day timeframe.

2. Who can participate in the challenge?

The challenge is open to anyone with a background in physics and an interest in topological quantum phenomena. It is not limited to professional scientists and can be a great opportunity for students and enthusiasts to test their skills and knowledge.

3. What is the purpose of the challenge?

The purpose of the challenge is to promote research and understanding in the field of topological quantum physics. By solving the problems presented in the challenge, participants can gain a deeper understanding of the subject and contribute to the advancement of the field.

4. How difficult are the problems in the challenge?

The problems in the challenge vary in difficulty, with some being more challenging than others. However, the challenge is designed to be accessible to a wide range of participants, so there will be problems suitable for both beginners and experts.

5. Are there any prizes for completing the challenge?

While there are no monetary prizes for completing the challenge, participants will receive a certificate of completion and recognition for their achievement. The real reward is the knowledge and skills gained through the challenge.