Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

35W bridge in minneapolis collapses!

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    "A bridge over the Mississippi River in Minnesota has collapsed, sending cars into the water, The Associated Press reports" - CNN. Hope everyone here is ok! My sister and brother-in-law take it every day, but they phoned us ok.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good grief.

Do you have a link to the story?

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3
    It's on cnn.com and every tv news station

5. Aug 1, 2007 #4
  6. Aug 1, 2007 #5
    Reports of cars under the collapsed bridge, that doesn't look good

7. Aug 1, 2007 #6
    Thats very shocking to see. Your right it dosen't look good for some, but was glad to hear the school bus made it.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a friend in Minneapolis that takes that bridge.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I saw this on the news, I hope there aren't too many serious or fatal injuries. I wonder what caused it.

10. Aug 1, 2007 #9
    Wow, those people were in their car and fell 64 feet into the water. Thats like driving into a brick wall at 100mph.

Thats a bad way to crash because the road literally fell from under the car. A car is not designed for that kind of an impact.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  11. Aug 2, 2007 #10
    "Recovery efforts have been halted because of darkness"

CNN says "Recovery efforts have been halted because of darkness". Are they serious? Night light at football games can make the whole field look like it was noon on a sunny day. It's my understanding that there might still be dead people in the water. Terrible tragedy.

12. Aug 2, 2007 #11

J77

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  13. Aug 2, 2007 #12
    Said on the radio an hour ago that the death toll is 7. Looks like a lot of people survived the impact.

14. Aug 2, 2007 #13
    They just mentioned 9 people were killed, and 20 people are still missing. They mentioned that the effort this morning has changed from one of rescue to one of corpse recovery.

They are saying that the death toll is expected to rise later on today.

15. Aug 2, 2007 #14

ranger

Gold Member

Are they suspecting terrorism? I mean, the bridge was given the OK about 3 years ago after an inspection. It just can't fall, right?

16. Aug 2, 2007 #15
    No one mentioned an explosion before it collapsed, just that it suddenly gave way.

Terrorism has been ruled out, it said that just as I was typing this. :smile:

17. Aug 2, 2007 #16

J77

When I first heard it on the radio this morning, it sounded like an earthquake -- the people were saying it started shaking then they went into free-fall.

18. Aug 2, 2007 #17

ranger

Gold Member

Earthquake? Minneapolis? The shaking was probably just the bridge giving away.

19. Aug 2, 2007 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

According to the news reports the bridge was under repair at the time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  20. Aug 2, 2007 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just to put a little perspective on this, they could not have fallen at free fall velocities. It's a collapsing bridge, not a disappearing bridge.

21. Aug 2, 2007 #20

J77

Yeah -- I don't know that part of the US very well (apart from the airport), but thought it stange.

Like you say, the bumps people were reporting were probably the bridge giving in stages.

bbc: why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?