1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C

1. Nov 30, 2010 #1
    Hey, I really need help in my chem homework. :(

how many grams of ethyl alcohol CH2OHCH2OH must be added to 37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2010 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Chemistry?

One must either find this information in a handbook or conduct a determination experimentally. I may suspect that doing the determination experimentally could be difficult, since freezing of a liquid is being watched for. Anybody have a guess, would the solution turn turbid near or at the freezing point? One would want to gently agitate the solution during cooling to uniformly distribute the temperatures.

4. Dec 1, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I guess it is just about cryoscopic constant. What is cryoscopic constant for water? What molality of ethanol do you need?

5. Dec 1, 2010 #4

Once you have the molality, check you don't mean ethane-1,2-diol, (ethylene glycol), rather than ethanol - the two have different molecular weights, and so will generate different masses...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?