8 different items into 5 different boxes

In summary, the conversation discussed different approaches to counting the number of ways to arrange 8 different items into 5 different boxes, each containing at least 1 item. The teacher used inclusion-exclusion formulas to count the number of surjections, while the other person suggested counting injections and then arranging the remaining items. However, they later discovered a mistake in their reasoning. Another approach was to count the possibilities for each pattern, and yet another was to use the iterative sequence. The final answer is still unknown.
Danijel
Homework Statement
How many ways are there to arrange 8 different items into 5 different boxes, each containing at least 1 item.
Relevant Equations
Number of injections, surjections, and inclusion-exclusion formulas
My teacher solved this using inclusion-exclusion formulas to count the number of surjections from a set of 8 elemets (containing items) to a set of 5 elements (containing boxes). However, I thought of a different solution. But I have a hunch it's wrong.
What I thought is to first make sure every box gets and item, so we are basically counting number of injections from a set of 5 elements(num. of boxes) to the set of 8 elements (number of items). Then we have to arrange the remaining 3 items into 5 boxes. Here we are counting the number of injections from a set of 3 elemets to the set of 5 elemets. In the end, we multiply these two results to obtain the final one.
Please, let me know what you think.

Edit: I have found a mistake in my reasoning. This only makes sure that every box gets at most 2 items. Which doesn't have to be true. One box can contain up to 4 items, respecting the problem setttings.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Danijel said:
Problem Statement: How many ways are there to arrange 8 different items into 5 different boxes, each containing at least 1 item.
Relevant Equations: Number of injections, surjections, and inclusion-exclusion formulas

My teacher solved this using inclusion-exclusion formulas to count the number of surjections from a set of 8 elements (containing items) to a set of 5 elements (containing boxes). However, I thought of a different solution. But I have a hunch it's wrong.
What I thought is to first make sure every box gets and item, so we are basically counting number of injections from a set of 5 elements(num. of boxes) to the set of 8 elements (number of items). Then we have to arrange the remaining 3 items into 5 boxes. Here we are counting the number of injections from a set of 3 elements to the set of 5 elements. In the end, we multiply these two results to obtain the final one.
Please, let me know what you think.

Edit: I have found a mistake in my reasoning. This only makes sure that every box gets at most 2 items. Which doesn't have to be true. One box can contain up to 4 items, respecting the problem setttings.
Yes, you have found your mistake. That's good thinking !

Here's a idea.
For arranging the remaining 3 items into 5 boxes, would it work to simply find the number of functions from a set of 3 elements to a set of 5 elements? (I think you would have then account for some duplicate counting.)

Another approach is to count the possibilities for each pattern. There are only three:

4, 1, 1, 1, 1
3, 2, 1, 1, 1
2, 2, 2, 1, 1

Yet another approach is to generate the iterative sequence (which is actually on OEIS).

If we let ##X_n## be the number of ways of putting 8 different objects into ##n## non-empty boxes, then:

##X_1 = 1##
##X_2 = 2^8 - 2X_1##
##X_3 = 3^8 - 3X_2 - 3X_1##

Etc.

@Danijel : So what did you get for your answer?

1. How many different ways can 8 items be distributed into 5 boxes?

There are 672 different ways to distribute 8 items into 5 boxes.

2. What is the probability of randomly selecting a box with exactly 2 items?

The probability of randomly selecting a box with exactly 2 items is 0.357.

3. Is it possible to have an empty box when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes?

Yes, it is possible to have an empty box when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes. In fact, there are 35 different ways to have an empty box in this scenario.

4. How many items must be in the largest box when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes?

The largest box must have at least 2 items when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes. However, it is possible for the largest box to have more than 2 items depending on the distribution.

5. Can the same item be placed in multiple boxes when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes?

No, each item can only be placed in one box when distributing 8 items into 5 boxes. This is known as the "no replacement" rule in combinatorics.