A blob question and a voltage question from the same physics paper

In summary, the conversation is about a model for elastic collisions with blobs in a box, colliding with air particles and going back into the box. The model suggests that the momentum would be redirected and would be higher than what the answer says. The kinetic energy would also be conserved. The question is whether this model is wrong and how. The conversation also discusses the effect of increasing voltage output on power losses in a power station. The power drop across the power lines is proportional to the square of the current, not the voltage output of the station. There is also a debate about whether the change in a vector is itself a vector or a magnitude.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement
https://www.asi.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NQE_2007_Physics_solutions.pdf

Q13 D) E) F)
Q15 C)
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum, conservation of energy

P = v^2/r
P = I^2 R
For Q13 D) E) F), the model I had built was based on elastic collision with the blobs going out of the box, but colliding with air particles and then going back into the box. Thus, momentum would be redirected and it would be higher than what the answer says and kinetic energy would also be conserved.
Is my model wrong and how so?

Q15) C)
Can someone right a clearer, more concise explanation for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
aspodkfpo said:
but colliding with air particles and then going back into the box
How likely is that ?

solutions said:
c. Given that the power station is providing a fixed amount of power, should the power station’s voltage output be increased or decreased (or does it not have any effect) to reduce the power losses due to the resistance of the transmission lines? Justify your answer. (Max 6 lines) (4 marks)

Increasing the voltage output of the power station will reduce the power losses through the power lines. The power lost through the power lines is given by I 2 R, and hence increases as I increases. As the power station’s power output is given by P = IV , increasing its voltage will reduce the current it produces, which is the same current flowing through the power lines. (6 lines)

The resolution to the apparent paradox that the power drop, P, across the power lines is both proportional to the square of V, and to the square of I, is that V, the potential drop across the power lines is not the same as the voltage output of the power station, however the current that passes through the power station is the same current that passes through the power lines. As the current output of the power station reduces, the voltage drop across the power lines would also reduce.
Seems pretty clear to me.

The crux is that the voltage drop over the power lines is proportional to ##I##, so ##P_{\rm\, loss} = I^2 \,R_{\rm power\ lines}##
and ##V## does not appear in there.

Please use separate threads for unrelated questions.

Likes BvU
Whomever made up question 4 should receive a failing grade. Their answer is simply incorrect, and confusingly so. The momentum changes are equal but opposite.

hutchphd said:
Whomever made up question 4 should receive a failing grade. Their answer is simply incorrect, and confusingly so. The momentum changes are equal but opposite.
Debatable. I read "change" as a magnitude. How much did the temperature change? One degree.
And it is whoever (nominative).

Yes it is nominative. I am worried because I actually convinced myself otherwise even though it wrong!
But change in a vector is a vector. In uniform circular motion the velocity changes. The question as stated offers no correct answer (if they wanted magnitude it should be so stated). This is an important exam for an unsophisticated cohort.

hutchphd said:
But change in a vector is a vector.
True.

1. What is a blob question?

A blob question is a type of physics question that involves analyzing and understanding the behavior of a non-specific, amorphous substance or material. This substance is often referred to as a "blob" because it does not have a defined shape or structure.

2. What is a voltage question?

A voltage question is a type of physics question that involves understanding and calculating the electrical potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. This potential difference, measured in volts, is what drives the flow of electric current.

3. How are blob questions and voltage questions related?

Blob questions and voltage questions are both types of physics questions that require a strong understanding of fundamental principles and concepts. While blob questions deal with the behavior of amorphous substances, voltage questions deal with the behavior of electric current. Both types of questions require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What skills are needed to successfully answer blob and voltage questions?

To successfully answer blob and voltage questions, one must have a strong foundation in physics principles, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These questions often require the ability to analyze and interpret data, apply mathematical formulas, and think creatively to find solutions.

5. How can I prepare for blob and voltage questions on a physics paper?

To prepare for blob and voltage questions on a physics paper, it is important to review and understand fundamental concepts and principles in physics. Practice solving similar types of questions, and make sure to read and understand the instructions and data provided in the question. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if needed.