A boundary value problem discussion

In summary, the conversation discusses a boundary value problem involving a function f and constants a, b. The objective is to find an approximate solution using numerical schemes for more complex situations where exact solutions are not possible. The author mentions that not all differential equations can be integrated, making numerical schemes necessary. The conversation also touches on using simpler problems to learn new methods or techniques, and recommends a book for reference material on boundary value problems.
radou
Homework Helper
A boundary value problem "discussion"

So, let's say we are given a function f : [0, 1] --> R and constants a, b, and we want to find u : [0, 1] --> R such that u''(x) + f = 0 on <0, 1> with u(1) = a and u'(0) = -b.

One can easily obtain the exact solution to this problem merely by using direct integration. But, my book says: "We are interested in developing schemes for obtaining approximate solutions to this problem that will be applicable to much more complex situations in which exact solutions are not possible."

Well, I'm interested in what kind of "complex situations" the author was referring to here. Is it simply the case when the given function f is not integrable?

Although this post only demonstrates my lack of knowledge in analysis, I'm still curious about it, since I want to be fully motivated to start doing some finite element "research".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not all differential equations can be integrated this way. In fact, most equations that you will encounter in physical situations cannot be. For those, some kind of numerical scheme is necessary. Your equation is indeed very simple, and so is ideal for discussing approximate methods that will work on more complicated equations.

dhris said:
Not all differential equations can be integrated this way. In fact, most equations that you will encounter in physical situations cannot be. For those, some kind of numerical scheme is necessary. Your equation is indeed very simple, and so is ideal for discussing approximate methods that will work on more complicated equations.

I understand, but still, I'd like to see one of these complicated equations.

Perhaps I should just read, and sooner or later I'll get the point.

radou said:
I understand, but still, I'd like to see one of these complicated equations.

Perhaps I should just read, and sooner or later I'll get the point.
Wow! I just checked into this topic for variety; I know very little about differential equations, since it was so very long ago that I studied a few in an introductory course only. Your comment question reminds me of why younger students learning to use graphing calculators are usually given fairly simple problems to use for learning about the graphing calculator. You use the easy problems so that you can easily check the correctness of the result. Sure, you know how to solve the problem using the standard or easy way; but the objective now is to learn to use a DIFFERENT method or technique. Once you try the new method or technique, you can check your result by using your more familiar way.

For some helpful reference material on boundary value problems, try this book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120156979964&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation or system of equations that satisfies certain conditions at the boundaries of a given domain. These conditions are known as boundary conditions and can include values of the solution itself or its derivatives at the boundaries.

2. How is a boundary value problem different from an initial value problem?

A boundary value problem differs from an initial value problem in that the initial value problem involves finding a solution that satisfies certain conditions at a single point in the domain, while a boundary value problem involves finding a solution that satisfies conditions at multiple points on the boundaries of the domain.

3. What are some real-world applications of boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, and structural vibrations. They are also commonly used in the design and analysis of various engineering systems.

4. How are boundary value problems solved?

There are various methods for solving boundary value problems, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The specific approach used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some challenges in solving boundary value problems?

One of the main challenges in solving boundary value problems is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. These problems often require advanced mathematical techniques and can be computationally demanding. Additionally, finding an appropriate set of boundary conditions that accurately represents the real-world problem can also be challenging.