A complex number problem that has been vexing me....

In summary, the author established that if three complex numbers are real, then their sum is real. However, if one of the angles is changed from the given range of angles, the sum of the angles is not real.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Recently, on another forum, the following problem was posted:

Given three distinct complex numbers:

$\displaystyle z_1,z_2,z_3$

where:

$\displaystyle |z_1|=|z_2|=|z_3|\ne0$

and:

$\displaystyle z_1+z_2z_3,z_2+z_1z_3,z_3+z_1z_2$

are all real, then prove:

$\displaystyle z_1z_2z_3=1$

I began with:

$\displaystyle z_1=re^{\theta_1 i}$

$\displaystyle z_2=re^{\theta_2 i}$

$\displaystyle z_3=re^{\theta_3 i}$

where $\displaystyle 0\le\theta_n<2\pi$

For the 3 expression that are real, I equated the imaginary parts to zero, which gives:

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_1)+r\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3)=0$

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_2)+r\sin(\theta_1+\theta_3)=0$

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_3)+r\sin(\theta_1+\theta_2)=0$

I next solved the first two equations for r, and equated, to find:

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_1)\sin(\theta_1+\theta_3)=\sin(\theta_2)\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3)$

Using a product-to-sum identity, this implies:

$\displaystyle \cos(2\theta_1+\theta_3)=\cos(2\theta_2+\theta_3)$

Given that the angles $\displaystyle \theta_n$ must be distinct, I used:

$\displaystyle \cos(2\theta_1+\theta_3)=\cos(2\theta_2+\theta_3-4\pi)$

From which I obtained:

$\displaystyle \theta_1+\theta_2+\theta_3=2\pi$

However, I was told by someone whose judgement is extremely sound that I was "fudging" here.

Would it also be "fudging" to redefine the angles with:

$\displaystyle -\pi\le\theta_n<\pi$

and then use:

$\displaystyle \cos(2\theta_1+\theta_3)=\cos(-2\theta_2-\theta_3)$

to obtain:

$\displaystyle \theta_1+\theta_2+\theta_3=0$

I admit, this seems to merely be the same "fudge" I used before.(Rofl)

Can anyone offer a hint or nudge in the right direction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MarkFL said:
Recently, on another forum, the following problem was posted:

Given three distinct complex numbers:

$\displaystyle z_1,z_2,z_3$

where:

$\displaystyle |z_1|=|z_2|=|z_3|\ne0$

and:

$\displaystyle z_1+z_2z_3,z_2+z_1z_3,z_3+z_1z_2$

are all real, then prove:

$\displaystyle z_1z_2z_3=1$

I began with:

$\displaystyle z_1=re^{\theta_1 i}$

$\displaystyle z_2=re^{\theta_2 i}$

$\displaystyle z_3=re^{\theta_3 i}$

where $\displaystyle 0\le\theta_n<2\pi$

For the 3 expression that are real, I equated the imaginary parts to zero, which gives:

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_1)+r\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3)=0$

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_2)+r\sin(\theta_1+\theta_3)=0$

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_3)+r\sin(\theta_1+\theta_2)=0$

I next solved the first two equations for r, and equated, to find:

$\displaystyle \sin(\theta_1)\sin(\theta_1+\theta_3)=\sin(\theta_2)\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3)$

Using a product-to-sum identity, this implies:

$\displaystyle \cos(2\theta_1+\theta_3)=\cos(2\theta_2+\theta_3)$
Up to that point, your argument is completely watertight. To avoid the fudge in what follows, continue like this.

First, given $\phi, \ \psi$ with $\cos\phi=\cos\psi$, it must be true that either $\psi=\phi+2k\pi$ or $\psi=-\phi+2k\pi$ (for some integer $k$). Applying that to the equation $\cos(2\theta_1+\theta_3)=\cos(2\theta_2+\theta_3)$, you see that either $2\theta_1+\theta_3 = 2\theta_2+\theta_3 + 2k\pi$ or $2\theta_1+\theta_3 = -(2\theta_2+\theta_3) + 2k\pi$. But the first of those alternatives implies that $\theta_1 = \theta_2$, which is not allowed. Therefore the second alternative holds, from which you get $\theta_1 + \theta_2 + \theta_3 = k\pi.$

If you then go back to the equation $\sin(\theta_1)+r\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3)=0$, you can deduce that $k$ must be an even number (otherwise both terms on the left side of that equation would have the same sign). Consequently $\sin(\theta_2+\theta_3) = -\sin\theta_1$, from which it follows that $r=1$. From there it is easy to see that $z_1z_2z_3 = 1.$

I would say that your proof is essentially sound and that the fudge is easily removable. I would prefer to see a more geometric proof of this result, but I don't have any idea of how that might go.

Thank you! :cool:

I did actually consider:

$\displaystyle \theta_1+\theta_2+\theta_3=k\pi$

but I never thought to use one of the 3 equations arising from the conditions on the 3 given expressions being real to show that k must be even. (Smile)

When I fix my argument, I will give you credit for the suggested fix!

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 5)i = 5 + 9i.

3. Can you multiply and divide complex numbers?

Yes, you can multiply and divide complex numbers just like you would with regular numbers. To multiply, you use the FOIL method: First, Outer, Inner, Last. To divide, you multiply by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is the same expression but with the sign of the imaginary part changed.

4. What is the geometric representation of a complex number?

A complex number can be represented as a point on a 2-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane. The real part corresponds to the x-axis and the imaginary part corresponds to the y-axis. The distance from the origin to the point is the magnitude of the complex number.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving alternating currents, vibrations, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and image processing.