1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple questions about the bradford method

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the protocol for the bradford method I am told to prepare two blanks of water of .15M NaCl. I dont understand why I need two of them. Don't I just need one of them for placing into the photometer after I have set 0% transmission to set 100% transmission by.

should I put some of the coomassie brilliant blue, in one of these, both of them, or none of them?

I really don't get why I need two of them, any help would be appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    Is it that one of the blanks is left with water to zero the machine and the other blank has just coomassie brilliant blue added to it, measured for absorption, and then subtract the absorption from the standards when plotting the standard curve, because that is what I am told to do for my Bicinchoninic acid assay.

Also, why do I have serial dilutions of the unknown, is it just in case the stock solution of unknown falls outside of the range of what concentrations are detectable by my test.

Furthermore, if I am running a Bicinchoninic acid assay do I have to do serial dilutions just as I did for the bradford method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook