A couple questions about the bradford method

In summary, for the Bradford method, two blanks of water with a concentration of .15M NaCl are prepared. One blank is used to set the machine to 0% transmission, while the other has coomassie brilliant blue added to it and is measured for absorption. The absorption from the standards is then subtracted from this measurement when plotting the standard curve. This is similar to the process for the Bicinchoninic acid assay, where serial dilutions of the unknown may be necessary if the stock solution falls outside of the detectable range. Whether or not serial dilutions are required for this assay is dependent on the specific protocol.
vande060

Homework Statement

In the protocol for the bradford method I am told to prepare two blanks of water of .15M NaCl. I don't understand why I need two of them. Don't I just need one of them for placing into the photometer after I have set 0% transmission to set 100% transmission by.

should I put some of the coomassie brilliant blue, in one of these, both of them, or none of them?

I really don't get why I need two of them, any help would be appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that one of the blanks is left with water to zero the machine and the other blank has just coomassie brilliant blue added to it, measured for absorption, and then subtract the absorption from the standards when plotting the standard curve, because that is what I am told to do for my Bicinchoninic acid assay.

Also, why do I have serial dilutions of the unknown, is it just in case the stock solution of unknown falls outside of the range of what concentrations are detectable by my test.

Furthermore, if I am running a Bicinchoninic acid assay do I have to do serial dilutions just as I did for the bradford method.

What is the Bradford Method?

The Bradford Method is a biochemical assay used to determine the concentration of proteins in a sample. It is based on the principle that the dye Coomassie Brilliant Blue G-250 binds to proteins in an acidic environment, causing a shift in its absorption spectrum.

How does the Bradford Method work?

In the Bradford Method, a known concentration of protein is used as a standard to create a standard curve. The sample is then mixed with the dye and the absorbance is measured. The absorbance is compared to the standard curve to determine the protein concentration in the sample.

What are the advantages of the Bradford Method compared to other protein assays?

The Bradford Method is a quick and simple assay that can be performed in a single tube. It also has a wide linear range and is more sensitive than other methods such as the Lowry or BCA assay.

Are there any limitations to the Bradford Method?

Yes, the Bradford Method is affected by the presence of detergents, reducing agents, and other chemicals that may interfere with the binding of the dye to proteins. It is also not suitable for samples with low protein concentrations.

Can the Bradford Method be used to quantify all types of proteins?

No, the Bradford Method is not suitable for all types of proteins. It may give inaccurate results for proteins with high levels of acidic or basic amino acids, such as histidine or arginine. In these cases, other protein assays such as the Lowry or BCA method may be more appropriate.