Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A derivative equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1)

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    An equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1)

Reading through a book, I met the following equality (##F## is cumulative distribuion function, ##f## is density function)
    $$\frac{d}{d\sigma}F_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)=\frac{-x}{\sigma}f_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)$$
    which was given without any futher explanations (assumed obvious, I guess) but I have a hard time figuring out why it holds.

Could anyone, please, provide a hint on how to prove it?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What happens if you derive both sides with respect to x? You can exchange the order of the derivatives.
    What happens for x -> minus infinity?

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like you are dealing with a normal distribution. dF/dσ = (dF/dx)dx/dσ, where dx/dσ=-x/σ

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Why don't we have to treat σ and x as two independent variables here?

6. Oct 16, 2013 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I may have mislead you. However I looked at it using brute force and the result comes out. It requires integration by parts in the middle of the derivation, since you will get a terms looking similar to F but with x2 in the integrand.

7. Oct 16, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

With the method I described, you don't need any integrals, and you get the right result with two easy derivatives.

8. Oct 17, 2013 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notation simplification: Fσ(x) and fσ(x) normal distribution and density functions with mean 0 and std. dev. σ.

With a simple change of variables in the integrand: Fσ(x)=F1(x/σ)
    dF1(x/σ)/dσ = (-x/σ2)f1(x/σ) = (-x/σ)fσ(x)

9. Oct 17, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

That is an interesting method :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook