A derivative equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1)

• Thread starter TaPaKaH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the equality for density and distribution functions of a normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation σ is given by the following equation: $$\frac{d}{d\sigma}F_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)=\frac{-x}{\sigma}f_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x).$$ This can be shown by using integration by parts or a simple change of variables, and it holds true for all values of x and σ.
TaPaKaH
An equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1)

Reading through a book, I met the following equality (##F## is cumulative distribuion function, ##f## is density function)
$$\frac{d}{d\sigma}F_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)=\frac{-x}{\sigma}f_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)$$
which was given without any futher explanations (assumed obvious, I guess) but I have a hard time figuring out why it holds.

Could anyone, please, provide a hint on how to prove it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you derive both sides with respect to x? You can exchange the order of the derivatives.
What happens for x -> minus infinity?

TaPaKaH said:
Reading through a book, I met the following equality (##F## is cumulative distribuion function, ##f## is density function)
$$\frac{d}{d\sigma}F_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)=\frac{-x}{\sigma}f_{N(0,\sigma^2)}(x)$$
which was given without any futher explanations (assumed obvious, I guess) but I have a hard time figuring out why it holds.

Could anyone, please, provide a hint on how to prove it?

It looks like you are dealing with a normal distribution. dF/dσ = (dF/dx)dx/dσ, where dx/dσ=-x/σ

mathman said:
It looks like you are dealing with a normal distribution. dF/dσ = (dF/dx)dx/dσ, where dx/dσ=-x/σ
Why don't we have to treat σ and x as two independent variables here?

I may have mislead you. However I looked at it using brute force and the result comes out. It requires integration by parts in the middle of the derivation, since you will get a terms looking similar to F but with x2 in the integrand.

With the method I described, you don't need any integrals, and you get the right result with two easy derivatives.

Notation simplification: Fσ(x) and fσ(x) normal distribution and density functions with mean 0 and std. dev. σ.

With a simple change of variables in the integrand: Fσ(x)=F1(x/σ)
dF1(x/σ)/dσ = (-x/σ2)f1(x/σ) = (-x/σ)fσ(x)

That is an interesting method :).

1. What is a derivative equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1)?

A derivative equality for density+distribution funs of N(0,1) is a mathematical relationship that describes the relationship between the density function and the distribution function of a random variable that follows a normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. It states that the derivative of the distribution function is equal to the density function.

2. Why is this derivative equality important?

This derivative equality is important because it allows us to easily calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range, by using the derivative of the distribution function instead of the density function. This can be especially useful in applications such as statistical modeling and risk analysis.

3. How is this derivative equality derived?

This derivative equality is derived using mathematical techniques such as calculus and the properties of the normal distribution. It involves taking the derivative of the cumulative distribution function and showing that it is equal to the probability density function.

4. What are some real-world applications of this derivative equality?

This derivative equality has many applications in various fields, such as finance, economics, and engineering. It can be used to model stock prices, analyze risk in investments, and calculate probabilities in statistical experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to this derivative equality?

While this derivative equality is a useful tool, it is important to note that it only applies to normal distributions with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. It may not be applicable to other types of distributions or when the parameters of the normal distribution are different. Additionally, it assumes that the random variable is continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.