A Levels: Struggling to Choose Science Subjects?

• Thread starter kyt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A level
In summary, if you like Biology, go for it. A Level Physics is also pretty easy compared to other natural sciences and the only potential difficulty may be in Chemistry. However, I cannot provide any advice on A Level Economics.
kyt
Hi, I'm currently studying under the UK curriculum and taking the GCSEs this school year. I am taking physics, chemistry,biology, economics, business studies. As I am applying for the A level subjects to be taken in sixth form, I have been considering maths, chemistry, physics, biology/ economics, I am really struggling as I am more of a science person , so biology should help but I have heard A level biology is pretty hard. Any advice? Also, I would want to know if A level Physics is manageable.

Physics news on Phys.org
kyt said:
but I have heard A level biology is pretty hard.
Not in the slightest. In fact, it's actually less intensive than the other natural sciences, namely Physics and Chemistry. If you like Biology, go for it.

A Level Physics is also pretty easy - the mathematical concepts are kept to a minimum, so you should be able to glide through it effortlessly. IMO, the only subject in which you might have some difficulty in transitioning from GCSE to A Level would be Chemistry. I don't know anything about A Level Economics though.

kyt said:
Hi, I'm currently studying under the UK curriculum and taking the GCSEs this school year. I am taking physics, chemistry,biology, economics, business studies. As I am applying for the A level subjects to be taken in sixth form, I have been considering maths, chemistry, physics, biology/ economics, I am really struggling as I am more of a science person , so biology should help but I have heard A level biology is pretty hard. Any advice? Also, I would want to know if A level Physics is manageable.

Well, you'll have to choose between being a person who chooses subjects because they're easy, or whether they interest you.

1. What are A Levels?

A Levels are a type of academic qualification taken by students in the UK, typically between the ages of 16-18. They are considered to be equivalent to the first year of university studies and are an important factor in university admissions.

2. What science subjects are available at A Level?

The most common science subjects available at A Level are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. However, there are also other sciences such as Environmental Science, Geology, and Psychology that may be offered by certain schools.

3. Can I choose more than one science subject for my A Levels?

Yes, most students choose to take two or three science subjects for their A Levels. However, it is important to consider your strengths, interests, and future career goals when selecting your subjects.

4. What if I am struggling to choose between science subjects?

If you are having trouble deciding between science subjects, it may be helpful to talk to your teachers, career advisors, or students who have taken these subjects before. You can also research the content and requirements of each subject to see which aligns best with your interests and strengths.

5. Are there any prerequisites for A Level science subjects?

Generally, there are no specific prerequisites for A Level science subjects. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in the sciences at the GCSE level, as A Level courses will build upon these concepts. Some schools may also require a certain grade in a relevant subject, such as a B or above in GCSE Biology for A Level Biology.