Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little Contest Show me something that is Absolutlly Useless

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1
    Many years ago I ask my Students to bring to class a ABsollutlly Useless Object, Just for Fun let see what you can come up with...

Ricky

actually is Only one "Correct" answer, so the challenge is not as easy as you may think.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2
    The human appendix.

4. Dec 3, 2005 #3

___

"useless"?

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4
    the porpuse of this exercice is to find minds with the avility to see the "bigger picture" and also the ones that don't.

6. Dec 3, 2005 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I would bring nothing to class.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  7. Dec 3, 2005 #6
  8. Dec 3, 2005 #7
    Madison Cycles in the U.K.

9. Dec 3, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A CCW Permit in California?

I think i won

10. Dec 3, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Wouldn't bringing an item with intent to enter the contest give a it a use, even if it had none before?

11. Dec 4, 2005 #10
  12. Dec 9, 2005 #11
    There is no correct answer, because whatever the person says, if correct, would have been useful at solving this puzzle, and thus contradicts the uselessness of the said object. "Nothing" would fall into this category.

13. Dec 12, 2005 #12
    Well done!

14. Dec 16, 2005 #13

I would bring the dna evidence that proves OJ Simpson is a murderer, because it turned out to be totally useless.

I'd bring something that has already been used and can't be used again like a a burnt out light bulb or a blown tire or a... hmm... then again you could use the materials of those objects to make something new... how about un needed information, like the memory addresses of ram in the first mercury spacecraft?

what about a slim whitman record?

15. Dec 18, 2005 #14
    I think Treadstone's got your answer Jonny.

By the way Treadstone, I do believe that you're both right and wrong at the same time with that answer. If your answer is that there is no answer, then your own answer must fall under that rule. Your are therefore incorrect.

However with the fall of your previous answer, there are no other answers to present, so it can again be said that there are no answers, which again answers the riddle and is incorrect. Therefore, you are right and then instantly wrong in an infinite loop. It's sort of paradoxical I guess; the riddle is entirely blocked off by its own purpose.

Kudos ricardo kuhn :smile:

16. Dec 24, 2005 #15
    "absolutely useless" is still limited by context unless the request states otherwise.

"I needed something to unclog my drain last night and my iPod was absolutely useless"

A statement you can't disprove even if an ipod has uses elsewhere!

17. Dec 24, 2005 #16
    *brain explodes*

18. Jan 10, 2006 #17
    This isn't one of those projects you tell your students to do in order to get fired the next when you tell the kids that showed up they recieved A's for bringing their brains?

19. Jan 13, 2006 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't care what ricardo kuhn says .... this has to be the right answer. :rofl: :rofl:

You couldn't even use a Slim Whitman record as a clay pigeon for target practice. You'd be laughing so hard you'd miss anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?