1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little idea I had with a lot of flaws..

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    First things first, I feel I am a complete novice and I don't know a lot about physics or chemistry. I posted this for you to tell me why and if this idea makes sense. Open to criticism.

So, I was thinking about an automatic hammer. A hammer that moves on its own.

In the design, half of the hammer could be cut in. Then hinges could be placed so the hammer could go up and down without losing one piece. Then I thought, if we attached a holder to the bottom piece, and attach a metal rod to the top piece, dragging the top piece through the holder, up and down, could replicate hitting with a hammer.

But that's just too simple. A hammer supposedly exerts over 9000 joules of force on the nail it hits. So I thought of replicating this with the same mechanism as bullets. Either using an small bomb, at the end of the rod, so that when a switch is hit, the rod is rushed forcefully upwards. Or, maybe explosive gases could be used, such as reacting Potassium with water or some chemical process I don't know about.

Then, if an explosive mechanism to power the rod upwards were even to work, whats to say about safety and not damaging the holder? Well, making a protective casing with Calcium Silicate or Potassium Silicate could work, as they are resistant to heat, fire and I'm hoping explosions. Or maybe use the same principle as firing of bullets?

So, I'm sure it has a million flaws, but feel free to point them out, I want to learn.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2
    Also, when calculating for momentum of a hammer, do you use the mass of the hammer head or the mass of the hammer?

4. Jun 4, 2016 #3
    Not to be too blunt but... What the hell are you talking about?

What do you mean automatic hammer.

5. Jun 4, 2016 #4
    Like, it doesn't require you to raise your arm and drop it before exerting force on a nail. It just basically moves on it's own with the press of a button.

6. Jun 4, 2016 #5

billy_joule

Science Advisor

There are already plenty of automatic hammers on the market.

7. Jun 4, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people use a nail gun for extended periods of hammering.

8. Jun 4, 2016 #7
    As above. OP What you describe already exists. You have drop hammers, big power hammers, pneumatic hammers, hydraulic presses, handheld automatic hammers, nail guns.

All eventualities for hammering, forming or nailing stuff together kind of exists already.

Also OP, if you want to apply force quickly in tool form. Rather than thinking of combusion, think compressed air. ;)

9. Jun 5, 2016 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just make sure the on-off switch doesn't stick:

10. Jun 5, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Homer Simpson's Electrical Hammer (working, made from scratch).

Love the way he whistles the theme tune at the end.

11. Jun 5, 2016 #10

rbelli1

Gold Member

12. Jun 5, 2016 #11
    Thanks though. Kinda upset so many different kinds were made already..thought I stumbled upon a "Eureka" moment. And how exactly can compressed air be used? Over and over?

13. Jun 5, 2016 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted