1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A nice identity, in need of a proof.

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

how do i prove the next identity:
    999/1000=1/(2!)+2/(3!)+3/(4!)+4/(5!)+5/(6!)+1/(7!)+7/(8!)+6/(9!)+1/(10!)+2/(11!)+2/(12!)+5/(13!)+2/(14!)+12/(15!)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use a calculator or a bit of paper. I just did it in GAP and it is correct.

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

you want to tell me, that calculating it with a calculator is regarded as a proof of the identity?
    im really surprised here.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do it by hand if you want, but it is just checking a sum of fractions is something. It's hardly an identity (something that holds 'for all x') like sin2x=2sinxcosx, is it?

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

but how can you derive it, by what means do you arrive at this equation?
    you can't tell me that someone put the first 5 terms arbitrarily and then reduced it from the fraction, can you?

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are entirely different questions and have nothing to do with verifying if it is true or not. I do not know how or why it was derived, nor do I care particularly. It is just the base factorial (for want of a better phrase) representation of 999/1000. Every rational number (possibly between 0 and 1) has a unique representation as a finite sum

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n} \frac{a_r}{r!}[/tex]

with some restriction on the a_r, (like between 0 and r-1) i seem to recall, you can then add an integre at the front.. Perhaps some people just worked out a few and thought this was a nice one?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  8. Apr 30, 2006 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

then you misunderstood my starting post, in which i stated that i want a proof, or derivation of the equation.

9. Apr 30, 2006 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you misstated your opening post. I have 'proved' it is true, and why it is true (because it is, like 2+4=6, because it is).

At no point did your opening post ask for a justification of why someone found this out.

It is quite easy to work out base factorial expansions, though there is no real justification I can offer as to why this particular one is 'so' nice. But then that is an aesthetic judgement on your behalf.

there apparently is a C routine that will calculate factorial base for you, if you want to play around with it.

Anyway, it is hard to explain a 'pattern' if you just give a single example. If you explained where it came from that might be a start.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  10. Apr 30, 2006 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could of course just work out the base factorial expansion of any number, I suppose. It's the same as working out a decimal expansion.

x=a(1)+a(2)/2!+a(3)/3!+...

you can work out the a(r) easily enough: a(1) is the integer part, a(2) is 2!(x-a(1)), a(3) is 3!(x-a(1)-a(2)/2!) etc.

Put in 999/1000 and you should get those numbers.

11. Apr 30, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Calculating that 2+ 3+ 5 adds up to 10 on a calculator or on your fingers (notice I stopped at 10- no need to use your toes!) is a perfectly good proof of "2+ 3+ 5= 10".

12. Apr 30, 2006 #11

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't recall for certain if the greedy algorithm works for a factorial base like this, I think it does though.

If so, just take K=1/2!+2/3!+...+n/(n+1)! as far out as you'd like this pattern, then take a large enough m so 1-10^(-m) is larger than K (note K will be strictly less than 1, consider K+1/(n+1)!). The representation of 1-10^(-m) in a factorial base like this will then begin with this pattern, so 999/1000 is nothing stunning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook