1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about residues(is matlab wrong?)

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    I have written this simple code fragment to the matlab for finding the residue(s) of the function 1/(z-i/9)^3;

b=[1];
    a=[1 -i/3 -1/27 i/(729) ];
    [r p k]=residue(b,a)

and get the following result;
    r =

p =

0.0000 + 0.1111i
    0.0000 + 0.1111i
    0.0000 + 0.1111i

k =

[]

The poles are true. Function has a pole of order three at z=i/9 . However, there are two different values for the residue: 0 and 1. I could not get the meaning behind that? How can a function have different residue at the same point? Additionally if we assume matlab is right then the result of the contour integral should be 2pi*i at the unit circle. However, we can easily show that this contour integral is zero. So, is something wrong with the residue algorithm of matlab or there is something I do not consider?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The residue of a pole in a function f(z) at z=a is the coefficient of 1/(z-a) in the Laurent expansion of f(z). In your case, a=i/9 and the coefficeint of 1/(z-i/9) is zero. So the residue (there is only one residue!) is zero.

4. Dec 13, 2007 #3
    Yes, logically it should have only one residue which is zero. However, what I did not understand is why has matlab find also a residue which is 1 at the pol z=i/9 ?

5. Dec 13, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I don't use matlab so I can't help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?