A question about a popular example of expansion

In summary: No, the example given does not make this claim. The example given is that we see galaxies that are 20 billion light-years away, which is a much larger distance than the age of the universe.
nomadreid
Gold Member
From the outset let me assert that I am not putting into question the expansion of space. Redshifts and all that. But there is an example which one often reads in popular astronomy articles which appears at first glance to be faulty, although I suspect it is my reasoning that is faulty, and I welcome correction. That is, one often points to the contrast between the age of the universe (14.5 billion years old) and the fact that we see galaxies which are reckoned to be 20 billion light-years away. The explanation is of the stretching of space. But this reasoning seems (?) to assume that the Earth and the said galaxy were contiguous at the beginning of the universe, as if the Big Bang started from a single kernel; however, what is there to prove that the energy that turned into that galaxy did not simply exist in a state that, after spacetime came into being, was not already far away from our present position? Shouldn't something else be added to this popular explanation to make it watertight?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
But this reasoning seems (?) to assume that the Earth and the said galaxy were contiguous at the beginning of the universe, as if the Big Bang started from a single kernel; however, what is there to prove that the energy that turned into that galaxy did not simply exist in a state that, after spacetime came into being, was not already far away from our present position? Shouldn't something else be added to this popular explanation to make it watertight?
Redshift is a measure of speed. If it was already far away and not moving, it would have no redshift.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
this reasoning seems (?) to assume that the Earth and the said galaxy were contiguous at the beginning of the universe,
I don't think it does, does it?
The argument juxtaposes two scenarios:
1. No expansion. Current distance to observed galaxy is equal to the age of the universe x speed of light.
2. Expansion. Current distance is larger than the age of the universe x speed of light.

Where do you see the assumption of the galaxy not being already distant at emission? This is not a gotcha question, I'd really like to know the thought process that leads you there, so as to better address such queries in the future.

Likes nomadreid and TEFLing
Thanks for the replies, russ_watters and Bandersnatch. The short response is that (a) I left out a word on my post :H, so my question looked sillier than it was. o:), and (b) I realize that my calculation as far as the rate of expansion was probably much too simplistic. :oops:
The longer response:
The omitted word was, instead of
nomadreid said:
The explanation is of the stretching of space.
it should have read
"The explanation is the superluminary stretching of space."

Further:
russ_watters said:
Redshift is a measure of speed. If it was already far away and not moving, it would have no redshift.
This is correct, and of course certain values of the redshift is the solid evidence of the superluminary expansion. But the example I refer to does not cite this argument, and what I wished to say was that the distance alone is not sufficient. (As Bandersnatch pointed out, however, the distance alone (without quoting the red shift) is sufficient to show expansion.) That is, if someone said that a right triangle with legs 3, 4 had its hypotenuse =5 because 3,4,5 is an arithmetic sequence, I would not criticize the conclusion but only the argument.

Bandersnatch said:
Where do you see the assumption of the galaxy not being already distant at emission?
Bandersnatch: With the question as it originally stands, you are perfectly correct: the difference in distance would be enough to indicate expansion without the assumption of original contiguity, because of (2) in your answer. However ( and here is where I am not sure how to calculate, but my guess is that) it would not need to indicate superluminary expansion, as the other galaxy could have started off at 14.5 b. light years away, and the intervening space could have stretched the extra amount to make it travel a total of 20 b. light-years in those 14.5 b. years without having to have stretched superluminally (assuming you didn't know about the redshift values). Thus was the (shaky) reasoning I put forward in the hope to get corrected... part of which, of course, you have done as far as expansion, for which my thanks.

Alright. No, I don't think superluminal expansion is implied to be necessary just from the statement of current distance being larger than the age of the universe.
But, this is usually not all the information that is given when talking about the expansion of the universe. That everything we see used to be pretty much on top of one another (as you described it, in a single kernel*) is also mentioned, often in the same breath.
And that extra bit of information, combined with the current distance, does imply superluminal recession velocities. Because now we know the two things, now at ##D>c*T##, used to be at ##D \approx 0##.

To be frank, I'm not sure if I'm at all helping here, or just idly restating your question.

*albeit never really contiguous

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Bandersnatch. You are right, if we assume, as many of such articles do, the idea of a "primeval atom", or "cosmic egg" (whereupon the egg came before...).

Would the kind of framework be foolish that we were part of an accelerating contracting region of the universe and the most distant galaxies seem as if they are receding accelerating relative to us?​

Rnold, if I understand your question, the problem with your scenario would be that we would have to see other galaxy clusters in our region exhibit an overall blue shift (i.e., discounting revolution), which we do not.

1. What is an example of expansion in science?

An example of expansion in science is the expansion of the universe, also known as the Big Bang theory. This theory explains how the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since.

2. How does expansion affect the universe?

Expansion has a major impact on the universe. It is responsible for the formation and growth of galaxies, as well as the movement of objects within the universe. Expansion also plays a role in the evolution of the universe and its eventual fate.

3. What evidence supports the theory of expansion?

There is a lot of evidence that supports the theory of expansion. One of the main pieces of evidence is the observation of distant galaxies moving away from us, which indicates that the universe is expanding. Other evidence includes the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

4. How does the rate of expansion change over time?

The rate of expansion, also known as the Hubble constant, has been found to increase over time. This means that the universe is expanding at a faster rate now than it was in the past. The exact cause of this acceleration is still being studied by scientists.

5. Can expansion ever stop or reverse?

Based on current evidence and theories, it is unlikely that expansion will stop or reverse. In fact, it is expected that the rate of expansion will continue to increase. However, there are some theories, such as the Big Crunch theory, that suggest the universe may eventually collapse in on itself and reverse the expansion. However, more research is needed to fully understand the fate of the universe.