A Question About Pronouncing Weird Words

• Thread starter triley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: I guess we'll have to see what the company says. In summary, the correct pronunciation of "Boox" is uncertain as it is a trademarked word and there is no clear consensus on how it should be pronounced. It could potentially be pronounced as "books" or "boo," or even "bo-ox" with the emphasis on the first syllable. The best way to determine the correct pronunciation would be to contact the company directly.
triley
Hello, maybe you can settle an argument. The internet leaves people trying to spell words a little different, or creating new ones all together. For example, rocks, becomes rox, becomes roxor (said rocks-or)
This leads to my question. ‘Boox’ is the ‘word’ in question. I think it should be said books like in rox, and roxor. (I know roxor isn’t a real word but still..) My friend says it should be said “Boo” and word readers pounce it so. They also have a problem pronouncing things with X in general.
So, how is ‘Boox’ pronounced? If it’s wrong what would you suggest for a silly spelling of the word ‘books’ with some x’s in there.
Thanks for your time with this silly question.

Physics news on Phys.org
English is weird. For most words, the "correct" pronunciation is just a matter of how most people pronounce it (similar to how the "correct" spelling is just a matter of how most people spell it). It doesn't necessarily have to abide by any logic, rhyme or reason. It's just chaos, really.

"Boox" might be an exception, because it is contrived (made up by an individual) and trademarked. So I suppose the owner of the trademark has some say over its pronunciation. This is similar to how you have some say over how your own name is pronounced (and/or maybe your parents).
https://alter.com/trademarks/boox-79291653

Honestly, I had never heard the word "Boox" before today, and I had to look it up. I have no idea how it's pronounced.

I tried to find some videos from the company which might give some insight, but all I've found are videos with music in the background, or 3rd party review videos. So I don't know.

You gave good examples of different pronunciations for double-o words, like "books" vs. "boo."

But there's a third option, to break up the word into two syllables. Bo-ox. "Bo" could be pronounced like "bow," "toe," "blow" etc., and "ox," is well, like "ox." This is similar to "zoology" where the first syllable is "zo" and last three syllables are "ology."

Last edited:
Email somebody at the company and ask them.

(Start at about t=20s)

robphy said:
(Start at about t=20s)

Darn it. I was so hoping for "Bo-ox."

1. How do you pronounce "weird"?

The word "weird" is pronounced as "weerd", with the "e" being pronounced as a long "e" sound.

2. Is there a specific rule for pronouncing "weird" words?

There is no specific rule for pronouncing "weird" words, as each word may have its own unique pronunciation based on its origin and language influences.

3. Why are some words considered "weird" or difficult to pronounce?

Some words may be considered "weird" or difficult to pronounce due to their complex spelling, multiple syllables, or lack of familiarity in one's native language.

4. Are there any techniques to help with pronouncing "weird" words?

One technique to help with pronouncing "weird" words is to break them down into smaller parts and sound out each syllable. Another technique is to listen to audio recordings or native speakers pronouncing the word.

5. Can the pronunciation of "weird" words change over time?

Yes, the pronunciation of "weird" words can change over time due to shifts in language and cultural influences. This can result in variations in pronunciation within different regions or dialects.