Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on centrifugal artifical gravity

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    How fast would a hollow cylindrical object seven miles in diameter need to spin to maintain earth gravity on the interior surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? Is this for schoolwork? What do you know already about centriptal forces?

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3
    the question does not relate to schoolwork, I'm working on a science fiction novel and my math skills are inferior so I can't crack a book and easily solve the equation myself.
    I need to know the rpm the cylinder would need to spin at to maintain normal earth gravity (would it be a four minute revolution, a half hour revolution?).

5. Aug 1, 2013 #4
    Do you recognise the equation ω2r for calculating centripetal acceleration
    Also, when you come to do the calculation I would suggest that you give the radius in metres rather than miles.

6. Aug 1, 2013 #5

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the space station is 7 miles in diameter, it is 3.5 miles in radius.

If we assume that we want to feel Earth-level artificial gravity at this distance from the center, we want the centripedal acceleration of a point on this cylinder to be the same as the acceleration due to gravity. In short,

[itex]a_{edge} = g[/itex]
    but
    [itex]a_{edge} = R \omega^{2}[/itex]
    where R is the radius of the station (3.5 miles or 5607 meters) and omega is the angular velocity of the space station in radians per second.

Then we solve for [itex]\omega[/itex], finding that
    [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{R}}[/itex]
    so that [itex]\omega[/itex] is about 6.64thousandths of a revolution per second or about 0.40 revolutions per minute.

7. Aug 1, 2013 #6

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hope that helps:)

8. Aug 1, 2013 #7

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4/10 revolutions per minute means 10/4 minutes per revolution or about 2 1/2 minutes per revolution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook