1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rectangle Parallel to a Magnetic Field

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

file:///Users/LabGuest/Desktop/CH26.tiff

2. Relevant equations

FB= qv cross B

3. The attempt at a solution

If the the rectangle is parallel to the magnetic field and we know that FB is perpendicular to the B field itself than there should be a net Torque but no net force. Is this assumption correct?

My first intuition was to say there was a net force and no net torque but I think that is wrong because magnetic force acts perpendicular to the magnetic field (B).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is correct. Can you explain, why?

ehild

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Yes because Magnetic Force = qv cross B thus it acts perpendicular to the magnetic field (B) since it is a cross product. The magnitude of the force is qvbsin(theta).

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But then there can be a net force on the rectangle, perpendicular to it, is it right?

What is v in the formula?

ehild

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    there is a different formula (derived from the formula u wrote) used in case of currents ... do you know it?

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6
    I would consider the magnetic force on each segment of the loop and sum these.

8. Jul 20, 2011 #7
    correct way !!! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook