A slightly complex pully problem missing the final step

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of M1, M2, T1, T2, A1, and A2 in a system with two masses supported by two anchors to the ceiling. The equations M1A1=M1g-T1, M2A2=M2g-T2, T2=2T1, and A1=2g(2M1-M2)/(4M1+M2) are used to find the values, but there is confusion about the suggested equation To=T1+T2=2T and whether To holds all the weight by itself. The suggestion is made to do a force balance on each of the two massless pullies.
Rubberduck2005
Homework Statement
We have a pully system matching the figure find the tension To using the fact that To=T1 +T2 = T2
Relevant Equations
A1 and A2 are defined to be downward
pulley image.png

so I have already done most the work in finding the following things M1A1=M1g-T1, M2A2=M2g-T2 T2=2T1 M2A2=M2g-T2 and then through further working out(use of the invariance of length of L1 and L2 the strings attached to M1 and M2 then finding A1=-2A2) A1=2g(2M1-M2)/(4M1+M2) and A2=g(M2-2M1)/(4M1+M2) Now my main ambiguity comes from the questions suggestion of the fact that To=T1+T2=2T I am not sure how this can be true can someone give me some advice please

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of m1 + m2 is supported by two anchors to the ceiling; therefore, there is no reason for To to hold all that weight by itself.

Likes Delta2
Lnewqban To=T2-T1+2T1 ? is what I see in the figure

if I worked out T2+T1 would this be correct?

or is it To=m2g+m1g-T1 as the pulley need support the two masses but the tension from the other rope takes some of that load off Lnewqban Delta2

Why don’t you do a force balance on each of the two massless pullies and see what you get?

sorry this is null I was reading the wrong figure

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage, which means that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by distributing the weight over multiple ropes and pulleys. The more pulleys that are used, the less force is required to lift the object.

3. What is a complex pulley problem?

A complex pulley problem is a problem that involves multiple pulleys and ropes, making it more difficult to determine the final outcome. These types of problems often require knowledge of physics and mathematical calculations to solve.

4. What is the final step in a slightly complex pulley problem?

The final step in a slightly complex pulley problem is to determine the mechanical advantage of the system and use it to calculate the force required to lift the object. This can be done by counting the number of ropes and pulleys and using the formula for mechanical advantage (MA = number of ropes/pulleys).

5. How can I solve a slightly complex pulley problem?

To solve a slightly complex pulley problem, you can follow these steps: 1) Identify the number of ropes and pulleys in the system, 2) Determine the direction of the force needed to lift the object, 3) Calculate the mechanical advantage, 4) Use the mechanical advantage to calculate the force needed to lift the object, and 5) Check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense.