Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Space Geek's Return to the Forums

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    Hello all! I was a member of this forum years ago when I was a student. A drive to give back to the community has brought me back here as a professional. I hope that I can help with my limited experiences!

I live on the Space Coast of Florida and work at Kennedy Space Center. I help to run a newspace startup company. I have a B.S. in astronomy/astrophysics, an M.S. in physics/astrophysics, and I'm a PhD drop-out (ABD) in physics/planetary science. In my short career thus far, I've worked as a researcher studying cataclysmic variables, gamma-ray bursts, and planetary dust dynamics, and I've also worked as a space industry analyst, a research analyst for International Space Station payloads, and now preparing for my company's future parabolic/"zeroG" and suborbital flights. I'm also a newlywed to a PhD economist and we're working through the two-body problem.

I've recently entered the world of blogging [mentor note: personal contact details deleted] and I'm reaching out to communities to increase my connection with students. This forum is part of my efforts. Hope I can help. I look forward to communicating with you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Laura. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Welcome back, and congratulations on your many achievements. It is pleasing to have former student members return. :smile:

I need to point out the PF policy of not allowing promotion in posts of personal blogs or offsite contacts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 11, 2015 #3
    Sorry about that! I jus re-read the guidelines and I don't see that particular rule listed. Is it an unwritten rule? I also note that someone has their personal website in their signature so I'm guessing that's allowed?

5. Apr 11, 2015 #4

Evo

Hi Laura, welcome back.

I believe that these three areas of our guidelines cover your question.

6. Apr 11, 2015 #5

Borek

Welcome to the forum.

Beware - it easily converts into a three body problem and the math gets much more complicated.

7. Apr 11, 2015 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as the mass of the third body is small compared to the other two, there are some static solutions.

8. Apr 13, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure having the small body in a Lagrange point is ideal for its development.

9. Apr 13, 2015 #8
    Ha! Thanks guys. We're trying for a tiny third body at the moment, and then a fourth, and then a fifth... Thankfully the masses of my husband and I are large enough to carry the little ones with us, until they outweigh me at least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook