A very simple primary school question?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
MM is a restaurant making hamburgers. Suppose it sells 40 regular hamburgers per day and each hamburger needs 1 regular bun.
Suppose buns are delivered every second day. MM is ready to order. His on-hand balance of regular buns is 25. How many buns should be ordered?

My classmates treat this as a simple primary school question. What do you guys think?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
10 000.

It's better to buy in bulk.
Oh, behave!

MM is a restaurant making hamburgers. Suppose it sells 40 regular hamburgers per day and each hamburger needs 1 regular bun.
Suppose buns are delivered every second day. MM is ready to order. His on-hand balance of regular buns is 25. How many buns should be ordered?

My classmates treat this as a simple primary school question. What do you guys think?
In today's world we work on "just on time" delivery. Since buns are delivered "every second day", you need enough buns for two days. If you sell 40 hamburgers a day, you will need 80 buns for two days. You already have 25 buns. How many more do you need?

Oh, behave!

In today's world we work on "just on time" delivery. Since buns are delivered "every second day", you need enough buns for two days. If you sell 40 hamburgers a day, you will need 80 buns for two days. You already have 25 buns. How many more do you need?

Yes. But since buns are delivered "every second day", that means I will be running out of buns for tomorrow already (I just have 25 buns only). So...

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes. But since buns are delivered "every second day", that means I will be running out of buns for tomorrow already (I just have 25 buns only). So...
I had assumed the first delivery would be later today or early tomorrow. If you cannot get enough buns for tomorrow, there is NO way of answering this!