Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very sweet old woman passed away today

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1

turbo

Gold Member

The neighbors closest to us are of Scandinavian heritage and moved up here about 30 years ago. The wife's mother was in her 90s and was mobile and in her right mind, and every time she saw Duke and me together, she would always wave and greet us with salutations. That's how I want to go out. Physically functional, mentally capable, and then BAM! Props to Hilda! Nice old lady.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

May she rest in peace.

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My condolences. Peace be upon her.

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4
    I hope she rests in peace. Sounds like a wonderful woman.

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

Me too Turbo. May she rest in peace.

7. Apr 28, 2012 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hvil i fred, Hilda!

8. Apr 28, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

:frown: I'm sorry, turbo.

9. Apr 29, 2012 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Sorry to hear it, turbo, my Mom passed the same way, I bet you will miss her wave and
    friendly smile, but that is something good to remember her by.

Rhody...

10. Apr 29, 2012 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear it, turbo.

11. Apr 29, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, all. When I see the vehicles of her daughter, son-in-law, or the grandson, I will always (at least for a time) be looking for her in the passengers seat. She was always smiling and waving. When Duke would hop up and down and bark (his greeting) she would just smile, and when he'd do his more urgent barking because something was out-of-place, she'd smile and say that the neighborhood had a good watch-dog.

12. Jun 20, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

My wife has her recipe for Swedish apple pie, and it's fantastic. No bottom crust, just a cakey top crust, and very little sugar. I'll think of her every time I eat a slice.

13. Jun 21, 2012 #12

rhody

Gold Member

Sorry you had to loose a close neighbor, and by all accounts a very nice pleasant one Turbo. My thoughts go out to you.

Rhody...

14. Jun 26, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Hilda's Swedish Apple Pie

Spray or grease pie plate

Fill plate (about 8 regular apples)

Sprinkle with mixture of:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat one egg, add 1/2 cup of sugar gradually, and 1 stick of melted margarine or butter, then add 1 cup of flour and stir untill smooth.

Pour batter over apples.

Bake 40 minutes at 350. Batter should be light to golden brown. Cool pie and refrigerate.

15. Jun 27, 2012 #14
    My condolences.

She sounds a bit like my grandmother, who will be 92 years old this year. Still up and running, she even visited some relatives in France recently! Also makes great cakes.

The pie sounds really nice! Also very common in Sweden is a crumble, also with no bottom crust and topped with a lovely crumbly crust made out of flour, butter and sugar. Did Hilda also make cinnamon buns and serve you a proper Swedish "fika"? Best part of the day, the afternoon "fika" moment!

16. Jun 27, 2012 #15

turbo

Gold Member

She was a nice old lady. She did all the baking in the family, making pies, cakes, sweet rolls, etc. I have to ask my wife to see if she can get more of her recipes. If they are as good as this pie, though, I might need to start dieting.

17. Jun 27, 2012 #16
    "To live on in the hearts of those you've left behind, is to have never died at all."

18. Jun 27, 2012 #17

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

To have met an angel even once is a blessing beyond compare, to have met one who make great apple pie is even better.

19. Jun 27, 2012 #18

turbo

Gold Member

She was a sweet old lady, indeed. My wife has that apple pie recipe down cold. Incredible pie!

It is so nice to meet a person who is unfailingly pleasant. We have another (periodic) neighbor that is that sweet. She is ~20 years my junior and would love to be able to move up here instead of working in Mass. We're pretty luck WRT neighbors.

20. Aug 4, 2012 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Hilda's son-in-law stopped in this noontime with two rounded-over quart containers of wild blueberries. Best of all, they were picked "clean" - bare minimum of those tiny stems, under-ripe berries, and NO leaves. Just taking a little break from sorting and packaging them, and my fingers are kind of blue. Still, those berries are worth the effort - pancakes, muffins, etc.

21. Aug 8, 2012 #20

turbo

Gold Member

This is a nice place to live. I would like to live farther out in the woods (farther from peoples' dryer vents), but I don't know if I can manage that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook