About how much time should it take for me to finish an undergrad problem set?

• Studying
  • Thread starter aissam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
aissam
I have program that i want to follow to try to self learn undergrad physics deeply but i find myself hating when i have to check the solution of a problem set but at the same time if i didn't do that i wouldnt have the time to do other problem sets. So i want to know how much it takes you guys to finish an undergrad physics problem set on average. Do you think 3 hours is a good estimate

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual rule of thumb is 3 hours of study for every hour in the classroom. So 3 hours per set is not a crazy number. Note that it may take more than 3 hours of clock time to do 3 hours of work.

Last edited:
Likes aissam
There is no one good number for that. In my undergrad thermodynamics class, I allowed 8 hours on a problem before moving on. That one class took as much study time as all of my other classes that semester. I was only able to finish about 2/3 of the problems in each set. But I got an A in the course.

Concentrate on understanding the concepts being taught. Some classes are harder than others, and take more time.

Likes DeBangis21, berkeman and aissam
thanks

Likes berkeman
Do you have access to either a professor (mentor) or other similarly minded students at your level? That can make things much less frustrating.

actually no

Likes hutchphd
aissam said:
I have program that i want to follow to try to self learn undergrad physics deeply but i find myself hating when i have to check the solution of a problem set but at the same time if i didn't do that i wouldnt have the time to do other problem sets. So i want to know how much it takes you guys to finish an undergrad physics problem set on average. Do you think 3 hours is a good estimate
Too too long ago; but three hours for most single problem-sets (exercises) is not enough. I do not say how long the time should be; only that three hour is not enough.

1. How long should I spend on a problem set?

The amount of time it takes to complete a problem set can vary depending on the difficulty of the problems and your own individual learning pace. However, as a general rule, you should aim to spend 1-2 hours on each problem set.

2. Is it better to work on a problem set all at once or in small chunks?

This ultimately depends on your personal study habits and preferences. Some people find it helpful to work on a problem set in small chunks, taking breaks in between to refresh their mind. Others prefer to work on the entire problem set in one sitting. Experiment and find out what works best for you.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while working on a problem set?

One way to manage your time effectively is to break down the problem set into smaller, manageable tasks. Set a timer for each task to keep yourself on track. It can also be helpful to prioritize the problems and start with the ones that you find most challenging.

4. What should I do if I can't solve a problem?

If you are having trouble solving a problem, don't get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try reaching out to your classmates or professor for help. It's important to remember that problem solving takes time and practice.

5. How can I make sure I am not spending too much time on a problem set?

To ensure that you are not spending too much time on a problem set, it's important to set a time limit for yourself and stick to it. If you find yourself spending too much time on a particular problem, move on to the next one and come back to it later. It's also helpful to prioritize the problems and focus on the ones that are worth the most points first.