About to Start college but don't know what to do

In summary, the individual is considering studying pure math but is concerned about the employability of this major. They are also facing obstacles in pursuing a double major in applied math due to their school's policies and heavy core curriculum. They are seeking advice on how to improve employability while still focusing on pure math and considering options such as a minor in statistics. They are also wondering about the difficulty of finding a job with a pure math degree and seeking advice from others with experience in the field.
Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, the title isn't quite right. I want to study (pure) math, but this probably isn't the most employable STEM major out there. So, since I do plan on pursuing a BA in mathematics, I've also been thinking about what I can do/take additionally in the coming years that would allow for avenues other than academia. Unfortunately, my options are limited by a few obstacles:

• Applied math, a field that I otherwise would like to explore, is in the engineering school. This makes it impossible to double major in it with pure math. It looks like even taking classes cross-schools is a hassle, but hypothetically a minor might be possible.

• My school has a fairly substantial core curriculum that all students must complete, one of the most expansive in the United States. Although this was one of the features that drew me to the school I will be attending, it does make it harder to fit in important classes. In particular, a double major seems to be only possible by dint of immense effort, as was the impression one survivor left me.

• Possibly worst of all, I don't love programming, nor am I great at it. I took java this past year in high school and can tolerate it if I'm coding towards some purpose, but I don't think I could go into a field where the entirety of my work consisted of creating/fixing code. I have been receiving a lot of pressure from my family and coworkers (I have a summer job in a computer science lab) to do computer science, but I don't think it's the field for me.

Okay, I realize that it might be a little bit too early to worry so much about employability in four distant years. I am paranoid, but I believe for good reasons. For one, the heavy core makes it hard to switch majors later on and so the intro classes taken freshman year largely determine what to take in later years. And I have to sign up for these intro classes in roughly three weeks.

So I guess my main question is what a math major could do to improve employability, keeping in mind the challenges I described above. Although employability is a concern of mine, I also don't want to sacrifice too much on the math side of my degree (I am planning to take real analysis freshman year, for instance). I know this is probably hard to balance.

Also, is it really that hard to get a (relevant) job with just a pure math degree? If not, that would take a lot of pressure off. From searching on this forum, I know that some users caution against doing pure math only, but there may other voices out there that I haven't heard, hence my question.

If anyone has experience job hunting in recent years with some type of math degree, hearing your stories would be really helpful to me in planning out my college career. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are really interested in pure math, you will need to get a graduate degree to have a good chance of employment in your field. The same could be said for applied math, too. I would advise against double majoring in pure math and applied math (if that's even possible), because if you go to math graduate school whether you do pure or applied work you will still need to know and take exams on your algebra, analysis and topology (all pure disciplines). If you are concerned about employability, I would say probably the most common job that BS level math graduates take is as an actuary, which pays pretty well but requires more exams. Or they become programmers but you said you don't like that.

I would recommend doing the pure math, since that is your main interest. Be sure to take as many upper division courses as you can and even some graduate courses if you can, and also involve yourself in undergraduate research with a professor of your choice as early on in college as possible. This will give you the best chance of getting into a good math graduate program. If you want to have something employable, study programming or do a minor in statistics or maybe double major in engineering but that will take a while longer to finish.

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I don't think that I can stay for more than four years without going into debt, something that I'm really trying to avoid and I don't think that I'm even allowed to double major in engineering. My school has some weird policies.

That said, a minor could be realistic and the idea of doing statistics seems interesting, though, admittedly, I don't know much about the field and haven't taken any classes in it. Still, I like the idea The only issue is that it conflicts with trying to get in all the upper/graduate level math classes that you also mentioned and I'd likely find myself in an either-or type situation. There might not be a happy medium, which is why I've been worrying so much about this. I'll also talk to my academic advisor about my concerns when I get the chance.

Keep the opinions coming!

HS-Scientist said:
That said, a minor could be realistic and the idea of doing statistics seems interesting, though, admittedly, I don't know much about the field and haven't taken any classes in it.

Thats the point! An undergrad education is where you generally first get to dig your hands into a lot of material for the first time, assuming you've covered the baby basics in high school I.e. algebra, trig, precalc etc. The fact that you haven't taken a stats course in HS will not prevent you from doing it in college. I graduated with a math major and a 3.8 gpa, and I did not even take my first precalc course until I decided to switch from economics to math in my junior year! You are in a good situation already knowing what you want to do before you go in, many students start out without even thinking about anything in the future but partying and having fun, and find themselves 5 years later not even close to finishing and having a low gpa. So you're on the right track.

I can understand your concerns about employability and wanting to balance your interests in pure math while also seeking opportunities outside of academia. It is important to note that a degree in pure math can open up a wide range of career options, as it demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in many industries.

One option to consider is pursuing a minor or taking elective courses in applied math, as you mentioned. This can help broaden your skill set and make you more competitive in the job market. Additionally, you may want to explore internships or research opportunities in fields that interest you, such as finance, data analysis, or computer science. These experiences can provide hands-on experience and help you determine if a particular career path is a good fit for you.

It is also important to keep in mind that many employers value a diverse skill set and are often looking for candidates with a strong foundation in math, regardless of the specific major. So, even if you don't end up majoring in applied math, your pure math degree can still be an asset in the job market.

As for concerns about the difficulty of switching majors or the limitations of your school's core curriculum, I would encourage you to speak with an academic advisor or career counselor. They can provide personalized guidance and help you navigate any challenges you may face in pursuing your academic and career goals.

In terms of job prospects, it is important to do your own research and reach out to professionals in your desired field to gain a better understanding of the job market and potential opportunities. Networking and building connections can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.

In conclusion, while it is important to consider employability, it is also important to pursue your interests and passions in your academic journey. With a strong foundation in pure math, coupled with relevant experiences and a diverse skill set, you can have a successful and fulfilling career in a variety of industries. Best of luck in your college career!

1. What are some tips for choosing a college major?

Choosing a college major can be a daunting decision, but here are some tips to help you make the best choice:

• Consider your interests and passions. What subjects do you enjoy learning about?
  • Think about your skills and strengths. What are you good at?
  • Research the job market for different majors. Which majors have the most job opportunities?
  • Explore different majors by taking introductory courses or talking to professors and students in those fields.
  • Consider your long-term goals. What career do you see yourself in?

2. Should I choose a college based on its prestige or location?

It ultimately depends on your priorities and what you value in a college experience. Consider the following:

• Location: Do you prefer a rural or urban environment? Do you want to be close to home or experience a new city?
  • Prestige: Do you value a well-known and prestigious university for its reputation and networking opportunities?
  • Cost: Can you afford the tuition and living expenses at a prestigious university?
  • Programs: Does the college offer the academic programs and extracurricular activities that align with your interests?
Ultimately, choose a college that aligns with your personal and academic goals.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific career in mind before starting college?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific career in mind before starting college. Many students enter college undecided or change their major during their college career. College is a time to explore different subjects, gain knowledge and skills, and discover your passions. It's okay if you don't have a clear career path in mind, but it's important to utilize resources such as career counseling and internships to help you figure out your interests and goals.

4. How can I prepare for the transition from high school to college?

Preparing for the transition from high school to college can help ease any fears or anxieties you may have. Here are some tips:

• Attend orientation or any pre-college programs offered by the university.
  • Start developing good study habits and time management skills.
  • Research the campus and get familiar with resources such as the library, academic support center, and career services.
  • Connect with other students through social media or online groups.
  • Attend college fairs and talk to representatives from different colleges to get a better understanding of your options.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a college?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a college, including:

• Academic programs and majors offered
  • Location and campus environment
  • Campus size and student population
  • Cost and financial aid opportunities
  • Internship and career opportunities
  • Student support services and resources
  • Extracurricular activities and student organizations
  • Campus diversity and inclusivity
It's important to prioritize what factors are most important to you and find a college that aligns with your goals and values.