Absorbed chemicals in contact lenses?

In summary, a person had accidentally stored Acuvue Moist Contact lenses with a bottle of nail polish remover containing various chemicals for several months. They are wondering if any of the chemicals could have been absorbed by the lenses through the packaging and if they should throw them away. The recommendation is to seek advice from a medical professional rather than relying on strangers on the internet.
tannah74
Dear scientists,
I had stupidly put a few boxes of Acuvue Moist Contact lenses together with a plastic bottle of "extra mild dissolvant" (nail polish remover) these stayed in the same bag in a closed cupboard for months before I noticed it. The dissolvant contains Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Dibytul Adipate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerid, limonene, Benzophenon-3, Red 17.
Would you say that there is a chance any chemical may have been absorbed in the contact lenses, through the packaging? there was no noticeable leakage of the dissolvant, but I could sense a slight smell of it when I opened the cupboard. Should I throw away the contact lenses?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Please ask the person who wrote you the Rx for those lenses. You need to ask an expert in person, not on the Internet. Your eyes are way too important to trust strangers on the Internet to give you medical advice.

Last edited:
Likes Borek and Bystander

1. What are the common chemicals found in contact lenses?

The most common chemicals found in contact lenses include silicone, hydrogel, and acrylic polymers. These materials are used to make the lenses soft, flexible, and oxygen-permeable.

2. Are absorbed chemicals in contact lenses harmful?

In most cases, the absorbed chemicals in contact lenses are not harmful. However, some people may have a sensitivity or allergy to certain chemicals, which can cause irritation or discomfort. It is important to consult with an eye doctor if you experience any adverse reactions to your contact lenses.

3. How do chemicals get absorbed into the eye when wearing contact lenses?

Contact lenses are worn directly on the surface of the eye, so any chemicals present in the lens material can potentially come into contact with the eye's tissues. Furthermore, contact lenses can absorb chemicals from the surrounding environment, such as from the air or from contact with the skin.

4. Can absorbed chemicals in contact lenses cause long-term damage to the eyes?

There is no evidence to suggest that absorbed chemicals in contact lenses can cause long-term damage to the eyes. However, it is important to follow proper hygiene and care instructions for your contact lenses to avoid any potential complications.

5. How can I minimize the absorption of chemicals in my contact lenses?

To minimize the absorption of chemicals in your contact lenses, it is important to follow proper hygiene practices, such as washing your hands before handling your lenses and properly cleaning and storing your lenses. You may also want to consider using daily disposable lenses, which are discarded after each use and therefore have less time to absorb chemicals from the environment.

Back