1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra during final year?

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    Good morning everyone. So I've been thinking quite a bit about it and recently switched from applied math to pure math, and I wish to attend grad school, if not PhD then at least a master's with thesis. I'm in the middle of my 2nd year, so next Fall I plan on taking Analysis, and then the fall after (final year) I would take abstract algebra. However, I would be applying to school in the fall while taking algebra. Since it's a very necessary core course, would it put me at a disadvantage since my grade for the courses would not be readily available?
    I'm considering taking both at the same time (bad idea most likely), and then my other course would be a GE that doesn't take up too much time. Plus, it would allow me to take gradute analysis and/or graduate algebra the following year. I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but I like to plan for best/worst case scenarios.
    Thanks! Have a nice day

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So by that time, you will only have taken one analysis and one algebra class. That doesn't sound very competitive...

What topic do you want to pursue in grad school?? What classes did you take up to now?

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I was a bit tired when writing that. Next year in the Fall is when I START the analysis line. So I'll have analysis I and II (which according to some old outline on my department's site goes up to multivariable chain rule, but that may not be correct) and a topics in analysis course next to round it off, and then the year after I was going to start the algebra line of algebra I (groups), algebra II (rings), and topics in Algebra. So I'll have a full year's worth of both, sorry for not making that explicit in my original post.

As for topics, I've been looking up different schools and what they offer, and geometric analysis seems rather interesting, but I'll hopefully get into something related to geometry or analysis, which may be a little vague now, but I'm sure will become a little more clear once I take more courses

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4
    I think what Micromass meant was that if you have only taken analysis and algebra, you might have a tough time getting into grad school. Most places also expect you to know topology, complex, geometry, etc. Of course every school is different so you should look into that.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
    Oh okay I see now. My school requires for the major:
    Linear Algebra (with proofs)
    Analysis I
    Analysis II
    Algebra I
    Algebra II
    Complex Analysis
    Differential Geometry I
    And 5 electives. I already took linear algebra and this quarter I'm taking a linear/non linear DEs class and complex analysis, and next quarter will be ODEs and PDEs. So next year I'm definitely doing Analysis I/II/Topics and was just wondering if people have had experience taking it concurrently with algebra.

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6
    I haven't done it before but I have considered doing it. In my case, I was hoping to do the honors abstract algebra sequence, honors combinatorics and graduate level real analysis. I believe the term my professor used was "suicidal". Hope that helps somehow.

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7
    Yeah I thought so lol
    So you don't think I'd be too much at a disadvantage taking it senior year as I'm applying? I assume I can at least learn a little bit of the algebra that'll appear on the subject test, which was my other concern for taking it "late"

9. Feb 16, 2013 #8
    I hope we wont be disadvantaged lol. I don't think it would be much of a disadvantage as long as you are taking it. The only problem I can see is the Math GRE.

10. Feb 16, 2013 #9
    Some schools offer real analysis and abstract algebra over the summer. You could knock at least one of them out then. Some schools even have two summer terms, so you could take out two terms of the course!

11. Feb 17, 2013 #10
    Yeah mine offers the first two, but I think the honors sequence would be most beneficial

12. Feb 17, 2013 #11
    At my school most people took real analysis and algebra at the same time, plus another math course - sometimes two.

Analysis is challenging, but you should be able to succeed in two difficult math courses at once if your aim is graduate school in math.

13. Feb 17, 2013 #12
    If your concern is the subject test, you could always audit the courses over the summer (that you way get credit for the honors sequence)... plus it will prepare you more for the hard load in your final year!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook