Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Potential and momentum of photon.

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    We had a test a week ago, it asked for Acceleration Potential of an photon to achieve wavelenth of 0.005 picometer.
    Not so surprisingly both of our teachers don't have a clue about what it means. While according to their solution we had to find the kinetic energy.

One more query, you have for photon
    p=h/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
    i know how you get here with Einstein's equation E^2=(pc)^2+m^2c^4
    but again when you put p=mv in momentum of photon it gives 0=h/[tex]\lambda[/tex] (since m=0; mv=0) So i would like to understand what would be momentum, because for a photon again to the eistein's equation both terms are indeed (pc)^2 (since p=mc).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

A photon is defined as a one-particle state in the Fock space of the electromagnetic field. A possible basis is the momentum-helicity basis [tex]|\vec{p},\lambda \rangle[/tex], where [tex]\vec{p} \in \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] and [tex]\lambda \in \pm 1 [/tex].

This state is an energy-eigenstate of the electromagnetic field with eigenvalue [tex]E=|\vec{p}| c[/tex].

The flaw in your thinking about energy and momentum comes from a misconception of momentum. For classical point particles (a photon is very far from being a classical point particle by the way), energy and momentum are related to the three-velocity with respect to an inertial reference frame by

[tex]E=\frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}},[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{p} = \frac{m \vec{v}}{\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}}.[/tex]

From this it follows the relation between energy and momentum,

[tex]E=c \sqrt{(m c)^2+\vec{p}^2},[/tex]

and the three-velocity in terms of energy and momentum is obviosly given by

[tex]\vec{v}=c^2 \frac{\vec{p}}{E}.[/tex]

Here, [tex]m[/tex] is the invariant mass, and the equations are written for a massive particle. The limit [tex]m \rightarrow 0[/tex] is most easily understood starting from energy and momentum. The relation between energy and momentum simply becomes as written above for the photon-energy-helicity-Fock eigenstates

[tex]E=p c[/tex]

and the three-velocity of a massless particle is given by

[tex]\vec{v}=c^2 \vec{p}{E} \; \Rightarrow \; |\vec{v}|=c,[/tex]

i.e., independent of momentum a massless particle always runs with the speed of light, and thus the limit [tex]m \rightarrow 0[/tex] from the formulae connecting energy and momentum with the three-velocity have to be taken by fixing the energy since the Lorentz factor, [tex]\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}[/tex] diverges with [tex]m \rightarrow 0[/tex].

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    I am really sorry for the late reply, but i was only trying to understand what you had already written. Yet, i don't think i understand much of the key concepts you mentioned in here. It will take time for me to study the modern physics and then start Quantum Mechanics

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure the question was about a photon and not a proton?

You can't "accelerate" photons in an electric field because (a) they don't carry charge so they're not affected by an external electric field; (b) they always travel at speed c anyway.

On the other hand, protons have charge so an electric field can accelerate them, and their speed can be anything between 0 and c.

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5

We had the word Photon in the question in our test paper, perhaps it is wrong because a similar problem one of the helpbooks had was about calculation Acceleration Potential of a proton. Thus, it can be proton.
    Also, I am getting the idea of what Acceleration Potential really is, so it is the measure of electric field that can give a proton of acceleration so as to have the specified wavelength. Right? How would i arrive on the units newtons per Coulomb then.

Is Acceleration Potential called by any other name, when i first searched for it on google. Turned out to give no meaningful results. only some unclear Wikipedia mentions.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook