1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accepting an offer you already declined?

  1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    Hi, I declined an offer for grad school in favor of another, but having slept on it I'm starting to regret it... what do you think my chances are of changing my mind and getting into the other school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    Contact the school.
  4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Pretty much.
  5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    Have you already accepted the other offer? If so I would be more worried about turning that one down. I think it's far more rude to turn down an offer you've already accepted than it is to try and accept an offer you've already turned down. Put yourself in their shoes by imagining if they did that to you. If you were accepted into a position and then they said "well, actually we slept on it and decided to go with this other guy instead," you would probably be pretty insulted/upset. On the other hand, if they turned you down and later said "actually, we DO want you," you might not accept the position, but you probably wouldn't be overly upset about them doing that.

    So if you haven't accepted the other offer yet, it won't hurt to try. They might say no, but you may as well try. If you've already accepted the other offer, think a lot more carefully about it, because they probably won't be very happy about you accepting and then suddenly turning them down. In any case, the sooner you act, the better.
  6. Apr 16, 2013 #5
    I personally think you should not worry about what the school that you decline ends up "thinking" about you. No one but yourself has your best interests at heart and they'll have forgotten that you even applied a couple of months from now. You have to make a choice that you'll be happy with because you're going to be in grad school for at least 5 years.
  7. Apr 16, 2013 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    It depends on how long ago you sent in the rejection. If it was just a couple of days you may be able to do something. Once you go past a few weeks however it's likely the school has offered the spot to other people on the waiting list.

    I would contact the school directly, as soon as possible.
  8. Apr 16, 2013 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I can't comment on what grad schools do, but in industry I think there would need a very good reason to get your "no" decision reversed.

    The impression it gives is that either you didn't consider the decision seriously before you made it, and/or if you don't keep your word over something as important as this then how will you behave over less important day-to-day things, and/or you didn't consider this decision very important to you anyway, and/or you are just chronically disorganized.

    None of which are good reasons for offering you the job for a second time!
  9. Apr 16, 2013 #8
    Yes, getting them to re-offer admission may be a tall order I agree. But if OP is certain that he has made the wrong decision then it is at least worth trying.

    My post was meant to counter thegreenlaser's opinion that OP should worry about being rude. I personally think this is not something to worry about since, from my personal experience of academics, they are unlikely to take it personally and grad school is an important life decision, worth getting right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Accepting an offer you already declined?