Acid-base equilibrium question titration

In summary, the concentration of the base (NaOH) can be calculated by determining the moles of potassium hydrogen phthalate (KHC8O4H4) and using the volume of NaOH to calculate the concentration. The answer is not 2.25, but rather 2.26. For the second question about the pH of a buffer solution made from mixing 0.14 M KIO3 and 0.18 M HIO3, without knowing the volumes or their ratio, the question cannot be answered. Additionally, the ICE table used is incorrect as KIO3 is fully dissociated. Moving on to another question, to determine the volume of 0.765 M H3PO4 needed to
Nelo

Homework Statement

6.83 mL of a solution of NaOH is standardized against 3.06 g of potassium hydrogen phthlate
(KHC8O4H4). Calculate the concentration of the base.

Homework Equations

c=n/v
M of KHP = 198.201

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did.
Calculated moles of pottassium hydrogen phthalate

3.06/198.201 = 0.0154 mol.
Used the volume of naoh to calculate concentration.

c=n/v . c= 0.0154/ 0.00683

c= 2.25 mol/L

The answer is 2.15. What have i done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be mistake in the key.

But the answer is not 2.25, it is 2.26. Don't round down intermediate values.

I have another question here.

"Calculate the pH of a buffer solution made by mixing 0.14 M KIO3 and 0.18 M HIO3"

The question is so vague, I have no idea where to start. All i know is that the ka of hio3 is 0.170 *from google*... and the ice table.

My attempt: assuming its a neutrilization i did Mhio3 - Mkio3 = 0.04 .

so hio3 remains.

Hio3 + h2o ----> -ion h3o+

0.04-x / x x

Ka being 0.170 = x^2/0.04-x

Since the 500 rule doesn't work, I did the quadratic formula.

Giving me -x2 + 6.8*10^-3 -0.170x ( -x^2 -0.170x +6.8*10^-3)

Used the formula.

calculating 0.0334 M

-log of that is 1.47. however the answer is 0.66

What have i done wrong?

Without volumes (or at least their ratio) given question can't be answered.

Regardless of whether the question can be answered or not, your ICE table is wrong. KIO3 is fully dissociated, which means initial concentration of IO3- is not zero.

Please use correct capitalization, things like hio3 or -ion don't mean anything.

Well, ... what about this one? ( I am doing exam review questions, no ka charts or any of the such are really given , theyre pretty awful. Sorry if I am being annoying, I just want to know how to do all of these)

Quest. : "What volume of 0.765 M H3PO4 is required to exactly neutralize 2.000 g of calcium hydroxide?"

My attempt: 2g of caoh / 57.084 = 0.0350mol of caoh.

used stoic (balanced eq. was not given) 2h3po4 + 3caoh -----> Ca3(PO4)2 + 6h2o

2/3 * 0.0350 = 0.02333mol of h3p04.

V= n/c 0.02333/0.765 = 0.0304L. Which is wrong. The ansswer is.. : 0.0235.

Notice anything wrong?

Nelo said:
Notice anything wrong?

At least two things.

First, with each new post you ignore earlier comments. Yesterday I told you to not round down intermediate results, today you started with the same mistake. 10 minutes ago I told you to use correct capitalization of formulas, now you write things like caoh. If you are seriously thinking bout getting help, don't ignore it, or you will be not treated seriously.

Second, caoh is wrong not only because of incorrect capitalization.

Thanks, figured it out

1. What is acid-base equilibrium?

Acid-base equilibrium refers to the balance between acids and bases in a solution. This balance is maintained through the transfer of protons between the acid and base molecules.

2. What is a titration?

A titration is a technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution. This is done by gradually adding the known solution to the unknown solution until the reaction is complete.

3. How does titration relate to acid-base equilibrium?

Titration is commonly used in acid-base equilibrium experiments to determine the endpoint of the reaction. The endpoint is when the moles of acid and base are equal, indicating that the reaction is complete and the solution is at equilibrium.

4. What is the purpose of titrating an acid and base?

The purpose of titrating an acid and base is to determine their concentration and to find the equivalence point, which is when the moles of acid and base are equal. This information is important in understanding the strength and concentration of the acid and base, as well as their reaction with each other.

5. How do you calculate the concentration of an acid or base using titration?

To calculate the concentration of an acid or base using titration, you need to know the initial volume and concentration of the known solution, as well as the volume of the unknown solution used at the endpoint. By using the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the unknown concentration, and V2 is the volume used at the endpoint, you can solve for the concentration of the unknown solution.