Acid or Base and Chemistry of Taste

I suggest you do your own work and ask your teacher for help if needed.In summary, the conversation is about using a red cabbage indicator to determine the pH of various substances. The group discusses the color changes of the indicator and the potential pH range of each substance. They also mention the difficulty of determining the pH of pepto-bismol and the potential effects of stabilizers in hydrogen peroxide on the indicator. The expert suggests rethinking the answer for isopropyl alcohol and clarifies that salt is not a base. The conversation ends with a warning about plagiarism and the importance of doing one's own work.
hotgurl1
Can somebody tell me the color the following items turn when purple Cabbage Indicator is added:

Water
Hydrogen peroxide
Isopropyl alcohol
Saline solution
Aspirin
Pepto-Bismol
Alka-Seltzer
Tonic water
Vinegar

and can you tell me if the items listed above are Acid or Base or Neutral

Please and Thank uo:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find a reference book or article which gives the pH range and colors for that "purple Cabbage" indicator material? Do you have any information about the composition of those listed materials so as to judge their effect on pH? You should be able to answer your own questions.

A quick guess is that the purple indicator may be much like phenolphalein in its pH behavior --- only a "quick guess", not necessarily the correct guess.

Okay I get it you want me to find the Ph scale which is the one below. Then you want me to google each item to find there ph and that should tell me the color that each one turn and if it is acidic, netural, or a base.
pH 2 4 6 8 10 12
Color Red Purple Violet Blue Blue-Green Greenish Yellow

Thank u
Symbolipoint

I kinda made a big mistake were using red cabbage indicators not purple, but when you make the substance its purple.
Here's how to make it:

Making Red Cabbage Indicator

Put 1/2 cup of finely chopped red cabbage leaves in a jar and add 1/2 cup of hot water. Stir and crush the leaves with a spoon so that the red pigment in the leaves colors the water.

Continue this crushing until the water has turned a distinct, rich purple color.

Strain the liquid through a coffee filter to separate it from the cabbage leaves and throw the leaves away.

***The remaining liquid is a pH indicator: a substance that can be used to determine the pH of a substance. ***

Use the key below to determine whether the substance is an acid, base or is neutral. Record your results in the Data Table.

If the indicator turns the test solution red or pink, the solution is an acid.

If the indicator and solution together are a purple color, this indicates that it is neutral—neither an acid nor a base.

If the indicator turns the solution blue or green, the solution is a base.

Can somebody tell me if I am right :tongue2:, so far I have:

Item color acid/ base/ neutral

Water - purple - netural
Isopropyl alcohol-red-acid
Aspirin- dark pink- acid
Alka-Seltzer-blue-base
Tonic water-pink-acid
Vinegar-pinkish-Acid

Im missing:
Pepto-Bismol
Saline solution
Hydrogen peroxide

Can somebody tell me what they are and the color. I think there all bases beteween the color of blue and green but I am not sure. :confused:

Help please:blushing:

hotgurl1 said:
Can somebody tell me if I am right :tongue2:, so far I have:

Item color acid/ base/ neutral

Water - purple - netural
Isopropyl alcohol-red-acid
Aspirin- dark pink- acid
Alka-Seltzer-blue-base
Tonic water-pink-acid
Vinegar-pinkish-Acid

Im missing:
Pepto-Bismol
Saline solution
Hydrogen peroxide

Can somebody tell me what they are and the color. I think there all bases beteween the color of blue and green but I am not sure. :confused:

Help please:blushing:

I would rethink the answer for isopropyl alcohol. The rest look good.

Regarding the 'missing' ones you show... remember that pepto-bismol is a product designed to treate heartburn (acid indigestion). Of course its pink which makes it hard to observe a color change of an indicator. Saline solution has several meanings, the simplest of which is saltwater solution. It also means a saltwater solution that is formulated to accomplish something (lactated Ringers, acetated Ringers, Phosphate Buffered Saline, etc...). Some of these other types of saline have been pH adjusted to physiological pH. Hydrogen peroxide is reactive with the indicator and may bleach it. If it is dilute enough, this may not happen very quickly and you can observe a color briefly. Most commercially available hydrogen peroxide has substances in it that stabilize the reactive peroxide against decomposition. Those stabilizers can be either acidic or basic...
http://www.h2o2.com/intro/faq.html#4

Thank you chemisttre.
Okay so far I have Saline solution as base and the color greenish blue is that correct.

I'm still missing
Pepto-Bismol
Isopropyl alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide

hotgurl1 said:
Thank you chemisttre.
Okay so far I have Saline solution as base and the color greenish blue is that correct.

I wouldn't think so. Does dissolving salt (NaCl) into water affect pH? What is physiological pH?

I know That Salt is a base by looking through other websites that used salt to perform this experiment.

hotgurl1 said:
I know That Salt is a base by looking through other websites that used salt to perform this experiment.

Those websites were wrong about salt...

salt is the substance formed when an acid reacts with a base, eg. HCl+NaOH=NaCl+H2O so it is neither an acid or a base, but some residual NaOH can make it basic, NaOH is a strong base so even a little would turn it basic
what is your margin of error?
how pure is the salt?
hotgurl1 said:
Thank you chemisttre.

I'm still missing
Pepto-Bismol
Isopropyl alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide
Think of what pepto-bismol would normally be used for

Caught in the act!

Your a student from Florida virtual school and you have posted an assignment. I have been notified and may have to take the necessary action!

FLVS

What is an acid?

An acid is a type of chemical compound that releases positively charged hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water. It is known for its sour taste and can be found in food and drinks such as lemons, vinegar, and citrus fruits.

What is a base?

A base is a type of chemical compound that releases negatively charged hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water. It is known for its bitter taste and can be found in food and drinks such as baking soda, soap, and some fruits and vegetables.

How do acids and bases affect taste?

Acids and bases can affect taste by altering the pH levels in our mouth. When the pH levels are altered, the taste receptors on our tongue are also affected, causing certain foods to taste more sour or bitter. Acids and bases can also enhance flavors and add depth to food.

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measurement used to determine the acidity or basicity of a substance. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Substances with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while substances with a pH above 7 are considered basic.

Why is understanding acid and base chemistry important in cooking?

Understanding acid and base chemistry is important in cooking because it can affect the taste, texture, and overall quality of food. By knowing how acids and bases interact with other ingredients, you can adjust the flavors and balance out the acidity or alkalinity in a dish. It also plays a role in food preservation and can impact the effectiveness of certain cooking methods.