1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustics + Optics + Oceanography ?

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I am about to finish my PhD in underwater acoustics. I am thinking of postdoc positions and research areas which might cover: oceanography and optics with acoustics.
    I still have to learn a lot before generating any ideas on my individual research career.

But was wondering if any of you have an interesting ideas or research centres you know or research fields in underwater acoustics.

PS: I'm not greatly interested in the medical ultrasonics field although this is where lots of funding is sadly now available for !!

Thanks a lot in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2
    hmmm whale research? :) What about military?

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Navy, definitely. Oil/gas exploration, possibly. Going to a relevant conference could give you some ideas as well:

http://www.uaconferences.org/

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4
    Sonar is what came to mind for me. Or other such things. For example, people study the sounds whales make in order to track them and other such things (I'm no marine biologist, only seen a couple of studies!). I'm not sure how optics come into play, other than maybe studying techniques to amplify the sound (distantly related), so...
    Yeah! Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook