Basic fluid mechanics questions about an oceanography paper

In summary: Alpha is likely a constant of value ##0.7 * 10^{-3} K^{-1} ##.In summary, the author is trying to simulate a model presented in a pdf file, but has two minor issues that he is still unsure about. One is related to the value of two parameters, and the other is related to the estimation of a third parameter. He finds different mean values for these parameters depending on the websites he checks, but all of them agree with the value mentioned in the article. He is unsure about the value of G - D, and is looking for advice from a source that he trusts.
Velatox
Homework Statement
There is no precise problem statement since it's an homework to be done independently, but I will try my best to explain it concisely (I also apologize for my mistakes in English) :
I want to reproduce the simulation of the model presented in the pdf file attached to this post (direct link to it : https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0485%281976%29006%3C0029%3ATSEIAM%3E2.0.CO%3B2 )
It consists of the system of equations (6) to (10) shown on page 2, that i will simulate over a length of 10 days using a Runge-Kutta type integration scheme. I've clarified a lot of things so far, but I have 2 minor problems left that still bother me , and both are related to the values of certain parameters that i need in order to run the program, but i can't seem to find in the paper. (probably because it's so obvious to real oceanographs that they didn't bother to be more precise haha)

1) First, there are the two coefficients [itex] α = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial T} [/itex] and [itex] λ = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial S} [/itex] which are first introduced page 2 (just below the equation (5)). Given these expressions, I assumed both parameters to be time-dependant, but the paper never discuss that matter more in depth. Furthermore, on page 4, (just below the first graph), λ is (seemingly) considered a constant of value ##0.7 * 10^{-3} ppt^{-1}.##
So i was wondering : which values for α and λ should I actually use as input for my simulation?

2) Finally, my second issue is related to the parameter G - D, whose value is never explicitely given in the article, but discussed at the end of page 2 (right column, below equation (6)). However, i simply do not understand what the author is saying there (probably because of language barrier plus the fact that some concepts tackled here are unknown to me) . Therefore, I'm wondering as well about the value I should use for that parameter.
Relevant Equations
[itex] α = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial T} [/itex]
[itex] λ = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial S} [/itex]
Where ##ρ _0## is the mean density of seawater, T the temperature and S the salinity

[itex]m = -ρ _0αg(G - D)/(τU)[/itex]
Where g is the gravitationnal acceleration, τ the surface wind stress and U the wind speed at 10 meters.
Problem Statement: There is no precise problem statement since it's an homework to be done independently, but I will try my best to explain it concisely (I also apologize for my mistakes in English) :
I want to reproduce the simulation of the model presented in the pdf file attached to this post (direct link to it : https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0485(1976)006<0029:TSEIAM>2.0.CO;2 )
It consists of the system of equations (6) to (10) shown on page 2, that i will simulate over a length of 10 days using a Runge-Kutta type integration scheme. I've clarified a lot of things so far, but I have 2 minor problems left that still bother me , and both are related to the values of certain parameters that i need in order to run the program, but i can't seem to find in the paper. (probably because it's so obvious to real oceanographs that they didn't bother to be more precise haha)

1) First, there are the two coefficients [itex] α = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial T} [/itex] and [itex] λ = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial S} [/itex] which are first introduced page 2 (just below the equation (5)). Given these expressions, I assumed both parameters to be time-dependant, but the paper never discuss that matter more in depth. Furthermore, on page 4, (just below the first graph), λ is (seemingly) considered a constant of value ##0.7 * 10^{-3} ppt^{-1}.##
So i was wondering : which values for α and λ should I actually use as input for my simulation?

2) Finally, my second issue is related to the parameter G - D, whose value is never explicitely given in the article, but discussed at the end of page 2 (right column, below equation (6)). However, i simply do not understand what the author is saying there (probably because of language barrier plus the fact that some concepts tackled here are unknown to me) . Therefore, I'm wondering as well about the value I should use for that parameter.
Relevant Equations: [itex] α = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial T} [/itex]
[itex] λ = (ρ _0)^-1\frac{\partial ρ }{\partial S} [/itex]
Where ##ρ _0## is the mean density of seawater, T the temperature and S the salinity

[itex]m = -ρ _0αg(G - D)/(τU)[/itex]
Where g is the gravitationnal acceleration, τ the surface wind stress and U the wind speed at 10 meters.

So I've done a bit of research before posting, it seems like alpha and lambda come from the "equation of state for seawater", and their respective names are "thermal expansion coefficient" and "haline contraction coefficient". They are nonlinear functions of density, salinity, and temperature, so i was wondering if the author of the paper considered them constant as an approximation? I found different mean values for both of these parameters depending on the different websites I checked, but all the values I saw for lambda are somewhat coherent with the one mentionned in the article. (always around ##0.7 * 10^{-3} ppt^{-1}##). Regarding alpha, I found an average value of ~ ##0.2 * 10^{-3} K^{-1} ##.
If I use these values for my computation, will it heavily affect the outcome or will it be very similar to the result presented in the study?
As for the estimation of G - D, i found another paper, (on which is based the one I'm currently studying), and that matter is discussed in terms somewhat similar in both studies, here it is (page 7, top of the right column) : https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0485(1973)003<0185:ULMAOS>2.0.CO;2
It did not give me any insight on my problem though, I'm still stuck wondering what input I should use to estimate this particular parameter.

Attachments

• OCEAN TIPE.pdf
    566.7 KB · Views: 293
Likes Merlin3189
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman
I think the idea is to approximate [itex]\rho(T,S)[/itex] about some reference state [itex](T_0,S_0)[/itex] by [tex]
\frac{\rho(T,S)}{\rho_0} = \frac{\rho(T_0,S_0)}{\rho_0} + \frac{1}{\rho_0}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}(T - T_0) + \frac1{\rho_0}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial S}(S - S_0)[/tex] with the partial derivatives evaluated at [itex](T,S) = (T_0,S_0)[/itex]. It follows that [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are constants. (Denman (1973) states on p 173 in the discussion of equation (3) that the Boussinesq assumption is in use, whereby this linear approximation is used only in the bouyancy force with [itex]\rho[/itex] elsewhere treated as constant.)

Towards the bottom right of page 30, it is stated that a non-dimensional grouping proportional to [itex](G - D)[/itex] is to be given a fixed value:[tex]
m = - \frac{\rho_0 \alpha g(G - D)}{\tau U} = 0.0012.
[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of studying fluid mechanics in oceanography?

Fluid mechanics is an essential branch of physics that helps us understand the motion and behavior of fluids, such as water, in the ocean. In oceanography, studying fluid mechanics allows us to better understand ocean currents, tides, and other physical processes that shape the ocean's movement and affect marine life.

2. How do oceanographers measure ocean currents?

Ocean currents can be measured using various methods such as satellite altimetry, acoustic doppler current profilers (ADCPs), and drifters. These tools help us track the direction, speed, and volume of ocean currents and provide valuable data for understanding ocean circulation patterns.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow in the ocean?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly movement of a fluid, while turbulent flow is a chaotic, irregular motion. In the ocean, laminar flow occurs in regions with slow-moving currents, while turbulent flow is more common in areas with strong winds or steep topography that disrupt the flow of water.

4. How do waves form in the ocean?

Waves in the ocean are formed by the transfer of energy from wind to the water's surface. As the wind blows over the ocean, it creates ripples that develop into larger waves. The size and shape of waves are influenced by factors such as wind speed, duration, and fetch (the distance over which the wind blows).

5. What role does fluid density play in oceanography?

Density is a crucial factor in oceanography as it affects the water's movement and properties. Water with higher density tends to sink below less dense water, driving vertical circulation in the ocean. Changes in seawater density also impact ocean currents, salinity, and temperature, which can have significant effects on marine ecosystems.