1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Back Spectator Ions When Balancing Equations

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    Here is what I have:
    [tex]BrO_{3}^{-} + NH_{3}OH^{+} + H_{2}O --> Br^{-} + NO_{3}^{-} + 2H_{3}O^{+}[/tex]

I'm adding back spectator ions, K+ and Cl-.
    [tex]KBrO_{3} + NH_{3}OHCl + H_{2}O --> KBr + KNO_{3} + 2H_{3}O^{+} + HCl[/tex]

As you can see I have 1 K and 1 Cl on the left, but 2 K and 1 Cl on the right. And because I was required to add HCl, another hydrogen has been added (unbalancing the equation).
    How would I go about solving this problem? Would I add more hydrogen to the left side? And what would I do about the unbalanced # of K's?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First of all - original reaction is not balanced. Read this balancing lecture to learn how to check if the reaction is balanced.

Hint: check charges.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    The charges are balanced. :S I just figured out the answer though. Thanks for your help anyway. :)

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Oops, sorry, missed 2 before H3O+ :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?