Adding Back Spectator Ions When Balancing Equations

In summary, the original reaction between BrO3- and NH3OH+ produces Br-, NO3-, and 2H3O+. However, adding spectator ions K+ and Cl- on the left side results in an unbalanced equation with 2 K and 1 Cl on the right side. To solve this problem, more hydrogen should be added to the left side. It is important to carefully check the charges to ensure the reaction is balanced.
Christina-
Here is what I have:
[tex]BrO_{3}^{-} + NH_{3}OH^{+} + H_{2}O --> Br^{-} + NO_{3}^{-} + 2H_{3}O^{+}[/tex]

I'm adding back spectator ions, K+ and Cl-.
[tex]KBrO_{3} + NH_{3}OHCl + H_{2}O --> KBr + KNO_{3} + 2H_{3}O^{+} + HCl[/tex]

As you can see I have 1 K and 1 Cl on the left, but 2 K and 1 Cl on the right. And because I was required to add HCl, another hydrogen has been added (unbalancing the equation).
How would I go about solving this problem? Would I add more hydrogen to the left side? And what would I do about the unbalanced # of K's?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - original reaction is not balanced. Read this balancing lecture to learn how to check if the reaction is balanced.

Hint: check charges.

The charges are balanced. :S I just figured out the answer though. Thanks for your help anyway. :)

Oops, sorry, missed 2 before H3O+ :blushing:

What is the purpose of adding back spectator ions when balancing equations?

The purpose of adding back spectator ions when balancing equations is to ensure that the overall charge and mass are conserved in the chemical reaction. Spectator ions do not participate in the reaction, but they are still present in the solution and must be included in the balanced equation to accurately represent the reaction.

How do you identify spectator ions?

Spectator ions are identified by looking at the chemical equation and determining which ions are present on both the reactant and product sides. These ions do not change in the reaction and are considered spectators.

Do all chemical reactions require adding back spectator ions?

No, not all chemical reactions require adding back spectator ions. It depends on the type of reaction and the ions involved. Some reactions may not involve spectator ions at all, while others may require their inclusion to accurately represent the reaction.

Is it necessary to add back spectator ions if the reaction is balanced without them?

Yes, it is still necessary to add back spectator ions even if the reaction is balanced without them. This is because the balanced equation must accurately represent the reaction and the presence of spectator ions in the solution.

What happens if spectator ions are not added back when balancing equations?

If spectator ions are not added back when balancing equations, the balanced equation will not accurately represent the reaction and its conservation of charge and mass. This can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of the reaction.