Addresses of Parallel Universes

In summary: I think we can safely say that there are an infinite number of universes.In summary, the author of the paper proposing the MIW believes that it is possible to visit a parallel universe by opening a wormhole. He also believes that there are physical addresses that define the relative location of different universes. There is speculation as to whether or not this premise is true, but at this stage it is just a thought experiment.
Adam LeTrexane
Hi there! Alright, so let me start off by saying I'm a biochemist by trade, but have an extreme (and possibly unhealthy) interest in the more bizarre aspects of modern physics. Admittedly, I don't understand the mathematical formalisms associated with the theories I know of, so bear with me if I sound a bit daft.

I've been interested for quite some time in the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics first formulated by Hugh Everett, and have now recently become interested in a variation of it called Many Interacting Worlds (MIW). The paper proposing it can be found here. Particularly, my interest lies in whether visiting those parallel universes is theoretically achievable. I'm also intrigued by the work of Mohammed Mansouryar, an Iranian physicist who has proposed a real-life method of opening a traversable wormhole.

However, it was recently suggested that there are 10160 observably distinguishable universes in the multiverse. Whether or not we accept this value, I think we can all agree that the number of parallel worlds is very large.

Mansouryar, as well as a few others, have proposed ways to actually open a wormhole to a parallel world. But this begs the question of, which world does a given wormhole lead to? And so that gives rise to my ultimate question of whether there are distinctive "addresses" that define the physical relative locations of various universes floating through hyperspace. If such addresses exist, what do they consist of? Are there theoretical ways to "tune" the opening of a wormhole to access a particular one? And can the address of this universe be recorded so as to enable a return journey?

Looking forward to seeing how this discussion evolves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam LeTrexane said:
However, it was recently suggested that there are 10160 observably distinguishable universes in the multiverse. Whether or not we accept this value, I think we can all agree that the number of parallel worlds is very large.
Well, no, actually we can't. There are a lot of us that think the MWI has no basis in reality and who therefor think the number of parallel universes is zero.

phinds said:
Well, no, actually we can't. There are a lot of us that think the MWI has no basis in reality and who therefor think the number of parallel universes is zero.

Respectfully, this discussion is meant to exist under the premise that we accept MWI as being representative of physical reality.

Adam LeTrexane said:
Respectfully, this discussion is meant to exist under the premise that we accept MWI as being representative of physical reality.
Not trying to start a fight here. I'm just saying that if you start off with a false premise you can arrived at any conclusion you like. I'll shut up now. (Maybe :smile:)

phinds said:
Not trying to start a fight here. I'm just saying that if you start off with a false premise you can arrived at any conclusion you like. I'll shut up now. (Maybe :smile:)

That's true! But there are many that believe MWI does have a basis in physical reality. So we don't have a conclusive idea on whether the premise is true or false... thus classifying this as a thought experiment of sorts.

Okay, so to other members - want to chime in? :)

The answer to your query is far too speculative at our stage of knowledge where we don't even know if such exist.

BTW that large number of worlds you mention is from theories other than MW eg eternal inflation. In MW the number of worlds is growing exponentially and while quite possibly finite is for all intent and purposes infinite.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
The answer to your query is far too speculative at our stage of knowledge where we don't even know if such exist.

Fair enough; if you were to speculate, what would you say?

bhobba said:
BTW that large number of worlds you mention is from theories other than MW eg eternal inflation. In MW the number of worlds is growing exponentially and while quite possibly finite is for all intent and purposes infinite.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification! Didn't notice that.

Anybody else?

Adam LeTrexane said:
Fair enough; if you were to speculate, what would you say?

We don't even know enough for speculation of any type.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
We don't even know enough for speculation of any type.

Thanks
Bill

Any type?!? What about wild speculation?In all honesty though, your questions is sort of like a 7 year old asking, "Will I have a son or a daughter? If it is a daughter, when will she be born? If she is born in July, what will her college roommate's name be?"
The biggest difference between these questions and yours is that we have infinitely more data to make an educated guess about this question. In this case, even though I don't know what will happen, I can give probabilities by comparing to past events.

Maybe it would be better to think of it as asking a Neanderthal what is the average number of moons orbiting an exoplanet in our universe. Of course, for this analogy to make sense, parallel universes must exist... which might not even be true.

I don't want to be too much of a downer, but there is probably nobody that can give an informed answer to your questions. Furthermore, there may not be anyone in your lifetime that can give an informed answer. The good news is that I could be wrong and tomorrow somebody might publish a paper or make a discovery that leads to an answer.

Adam LeTrexane said:
... proposed ways to actually open a wormhole to a parallel world.
Hollywood already did that, several times.
In reality there is no observation of this happening even once, not even with assistance of aliens.
Parallel worlds can exist as mathematical constructs, but that doesn't mean they really do exist.

Can you own -2 cows?, yes mathematically but -2 cows won't produce a lot of milk.

Likes phinds
Parallel universes are only potential universes!
Had John Smith gone that way instead of this, such and such would have happened.
But as he didn´t, it must have happened in a parallel universe.

Who says that everything that is conceivable MUST also be real?
That would mean that our universe is indeed infinite (not in space, nor in time, but in parallelity).

It would all have started at the big bang... but, would there only be ONE ending... or an infinity of endings?

Thread closed for moderation.

1. What is the theory behind the existence of parallel universes?

The theory of parallel universes suggests that there are multiple universes existing beyond our own, each with its own set of physical laws and conditions. This is based on the concept of the multiverse, which proposes that there are an infinite number of universes beyond our own.

2. How do we know if parallel universes actually exist?

There is currently no concrete evidence that definitively proves the existence of parallel universes. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory and the Many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, suggest the possibility of parallel universes. Scientists are also conducting experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to gather more information and potentially provide evidence for the existence of parallel universes.

3. Can we travel to parallel universes?

At this time, there is no known way to physically travel to parallel universes. The concept of parallel universes is still largely theoretical and requires further research and understanding. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of using advanced technologies, such as wormholes or warp drives, to potentially travel between universes.

4. How are parallel universes different from alternate dimensions?

Parallel universes and alternate dimensions are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Parallel universes refer to other universes that exist alongside our own, while alternate dimensions refer to different realities or versions of our own universe that exist within the same space and time.

5. Could parallel universes have an impact on our own universe?

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that parallel universes have a direct impact on our own universe. However, some theories propose that interactions between parallel universes may occur through gravitational forces or quantum entanglement. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential impact of parallel universes on our own universe.