Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint operators and diffeomorphism

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    Hello,

we known that for each linear operator [itex]\phi:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] there exists an adjoint operator [itex]\overline{\phi}[/itex] such that: [tex]<\phi(\mathbf{x}),\mathbf{y}>=<\mathbf{x},\overline{\phi}(\mathbf{y})>[/tex] for all x,y in ℝn, and where [itex]<\cdot,\cdot>[/itex] is the inner product.

My question is: can we give an analogous definition of adjoint operator when [itex]\phi:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a diffeomorphism of ℝn?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2
    It's a pity that nobody answered to this question. Perhaps I did not formulate my question properly ... anyways, I will show a partial solution to the problem, and finally I will ask you if the result can be generalized.

Let's assume the diffeomorphism [itex]\phi[/itex] is linear. Then we can write [itex]\phi(\mathbf{x})=A\mathbf{x}[/itex], where A is a n×n matrix. We have the well-known result that: [tex]\left\langle x,\; Ay \right\rangle = \left\langle A^T x, \; y \right\rangle[/tex] Obviously in this case the adjoint of [itex]\phi[/itex] is simply given by the transpose of the corresponding matrix A.
    Note however that we can write: [tex]\left\langle A^T x, \; y \right\rangle = \left\langle (A^T A)A^{-1} x, \; y \right\rangle = \left\langle G A^{-1} x, \; y \right\rangle[/tex]

I don't know if this is a useful step, but notice that [itex]G=A^T A[/itex] is the metric tensor. The question now reduces to:

Does this result sill hold for "curvilinear" deformations, where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a transformation of curvilinear coordinates, and G is the metric tensor expressed in terms of the Jacobian matrix?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. May 10, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yes ##g = J^{T}J## where ##J## is the jacobian associated with ##\phi##.

5. May 10, 2013 #4
    Hi WannabeNewton,

thanks for your reply, and good to hear that the result holds for admissible change of coordinates.
    Do you have any hint on what strategy I could use in order to prove this result?

I suppose that the result can be deduced from the knowledge of how the inner product in ℝn changes under a diffeomorphism given by a change of coordinates [itex]\phi:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex], e.g. [itex]<\phi(u), \; \phi(v)> \; = \; ?[/itex]

6. May 10, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook