AdS/CFT correspondence and the cosmological constant

• Thread starter dhillonv10
  • Start date
Hi all,

From what I understand AdS/CFT correspondence has been one of the most researched areas in string theory. I'd like to know if there has been any work done to relate this duality to the cosmological constant. As unrelated as they may sound, the expansion of space will change the properties of a hologram because as the space expands the volume of information increases and so on. If there has been no work done in that area (which is very unlikely) can anyone perhaps point towards an approach on how it can be done? As always any links to papers will be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time everyone :)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The holographic principle was around for a few years before the AdS/CFT correspondence was discovered. In the last several years, Banks and collaborators have probably been the major players in exploring holography and cosmology. It's not something I've followed, but there is a recent TASI lecture by Banks that probably provides a good summary and references to earlier work: http://arxiv.org/abs/arXiv:1007.4001

Thanks for the help fzero, I'll look around arXiv for any link between this and the cosmological constant.

Holographic principle and cosmology.
Damien A. Easson, Paul H. Frampton, George F. Smoot
To accommodate the observed accelerated expansion of the universe, one popular idea is to invoke a driving term in the Friedmann-Lemaitre equation of dark energy which must then comprise 70% of the present cosmological energy density. We propose an alternative interpretation which takes into account the entropy and temperature intrinsic to the horizon of the universe due to the information holographically stored there. Dark energy is thereby obviated and the acceleration is due to an entropic force naturally arising from the information storage on the horizon surface screen. We consider an additional quantitative approach inspired by surface terms in general relativity and show that this leads to the entropic accelerating universe.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.4278