Advanced Approach to Elementary Engineering Statics and Dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that describes the applications of physics for someone who already has a degree in physics. The person is looking for a book that is not too long, but still provides a good understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and includes information on gears. They have been searching for options but have only found long, comprehensive textbooks. The person clarifies that they are not necessarily looking for a cheap book, but would prefer something that is not too lengthy. They also mention that they are interested in understanding the physical limitations and advantages of mechanisms, but not necessarily in detailed design considerations.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I already have a degree in physics. Is there a book that describes the applications for a person who knows the underlying physics? Poking around, I can only found 1000 page tomes that are also teaching the underlying physics.

In the back of my head I am thinking about
1) Systems of wheels, inclines, wires, beams, pulleys, etc with different kinds of connections
2) Hand calculations of rigid body rotations

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
"Advanced approach to elementary..." - It's not all that clear what you're looking for. I'd think that any book which doesn't touch on the underlying physics to some degree is not a very good book... Maybe you just want a list of pictures and formulas?

You might try searching for "machine design"

A couple 1000pg tomes that come to mind are:

Rothbart - Mechanical Design Handbook
Shigley - Theory of machines and mechanisms

Likes Lnewqban
Let me try again.
This morning I read a gear problem in one of the homework sections, and had no idea how to solve it. I cracked open my Halliday and Resnick and gear was not even listed in the index, so apparently I have never solved a gear problem. I can figure out how gears work, but there are mechanical engineering concepts that I have never been exposed to. I am looking for that exposure.
Is there a reference for those who already know freshman physics that is not a 1000pg tome?

The best thing I have found so far is
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486607542/?tag=pfamazon01-20
edit: I am not necessarily looking for a cheap book

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding contrarian, the Hartog book you listed is written for for sophomore level students (and so doesn't strike me as particularly "advanced"), and also happens to be lacking a section on gears, as per your follow-up post...

Let me state it this way: You are not going to find a good general mechanical engineering "reference book" that isn't 1000+ pages (see Machinery's Handbook at 3300+pg). Maybe if you were interested in one specific thing, e.g. "gears", then you could find something concise.

Both of the books I mentioned are in the mechanical engineering domain, contain tons of information on non-idealized applications (i.e. more practice than theory) and each have 100+ pages each on gears...

Perhaps you are looking for basic engineering statics and dynamics books?:

Meriam, Kraige - statics
Hibbeler - dynamics
Beer, Johnson - vector mechanics, statics and dynamics

Likes Frabjous
No argument with you. If any of the basic books had been of reasonable length, I would have picked one of them. I would agree that Hartog is a sophomore book, but at 340 pages plus 334 problems it compares well for example with Beer, Johnson at 1300 pages total and 153 problems in chapter 4 alone. I didn’t see gears in any of the basic books I looked at. Hartog is the best thing so far.

I am doing this for fun and do not have have any specific topic in mind, although I am going to find something on gears. I have been on a mechanics kick during COVID.

Last edited:
What's the problem having a 1000-pages book, which contains the information you want?

Finite number of hours in a day. I would prefer a book to read not cherry pick from.

You don't need to read the entire book to just learn about the subject you are interested in.

You miss the point of my post. I am aware of the tomes and I still might end up with a tome. I am asking if there are other options. So far all I have found is an MIT textbook from 1948.

Could you post a few examples of the types of problems you are interested in?

Likes Frabjous
Sorry for the delay, put you are forcing me to come up with an aticulatable goal. At the end of the day, I guess I am looking to understand why mechanisms/simple machines/machine elements work and what are their physical limitations and advantages. While I want understanding at the level of equations, I am not currently interested in detailed design considerations.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between statics and dynamics in engineering?

Statics is the study of objects and structures at rest or in a state of equilibrium, while dynamics is the study of objects in motion or under the influence of external forces.

2. How is the advanced approach to elementary engineering statics and dynamics different from traditional methods?

The advanced approach focuses on a more conceptual and intuitive understanding of engineering principles, rather than relying heavily on mathematical equations and calculations. It also emphasizes the use of computer simulations and modeling to analyze and solve engineering problems.

3. What are some common applications of statics and dynamics in engineering?

Statics is used to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines, while dynamics is used in the design of moving systems such as vehicles, aircraft, and robots. Both are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena such as weather patterns and earthquakes.

4. What skills are necessary to excel in the advanced approach to elementary engineering statics and dynamics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science is essential for success in this approach. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important, as well as the ability to think abstractly and visualize complex systems.

5. How can the advanced approach to elementary engineering statics and dynamics benefit future engineers?

This approach can help engineers develop a deeper understanding of fundamental engineering principles, which can then be applied to a wide range of real-world problems. It also encourages creative thinking and innovation in problem-solving, preparing future engineers to adapt to new and evolving technologies and industries.