1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice and Insight for choosing between Math and Physics

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    Right now I am on track to be a math and physics double major, but I just finished my freshman year, so I haven't declared yet (all male liberal arts college). I won't know my GPA until May 15th and since it is freshman year, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I may have a 4.0 (on a 4 point scale), but if I don't, then it isn't much lower than that. In any case, I have taken physics 111 and 112 which I realize does not mean a whole lot to you guys, but these are the classes that you start with for the major. I have also finished calculus 1 and 2 as well as linear algebra. I have multivariable calculus in the fall with differential equations and abstract in the spring. I am not bragging, because you guys are far more accomplished than I am, but I really like math and have succeeded in getting A+s in every math class since 10th grade. I have a pretty good feeling that this streak will end next fall. Of course, I am also taking a physics class each semester next year. I am enjoying the physics as well, but this year I teetered on the A/A- line. I know what I enjoy studying, but I don't know what steps I need to take to make what I enjoy into a career. I have always enjoyed tutoring (in fact I am a physics tutor next year), but I am not in any education classes currently and as it pertains to teaching at a high school level, I don't think that it is for me. Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2
    You said a lot about how awesome you are but you never asked a specific question.

4. May 8, 2013 #3
    Ouch. I do not claim to be awesome. I have no idea what I am doing here and I need help from people who do (and who are thereby more awesome than I am). My question is where to start. If I had a good idea about what I wanted to ask, then I wouldn't need suggestions. What things do I need to be thinking about? What are some options? What are some links to career paths that may interest me? In the past I have been comforted by the idea that I have the rest of my life to figure out what I want to do. Now I don't really have the luxury. I need to start thinking about these things. If you give me a suggestion and I research it only to find out that I hate it, then I would be ecstatic because that's one less thing to consider. I'll take any suggestion with a smile and be thankful to have received it.

5. May 9, 2013 #4

Want to prepare yourself for the real world? Do your own research, and come back with questions. Asking strangers to recommend things for you to focus your life on is a dangerous thing. For reference there are many branches of both physics and math; from condensed matter to high energy physics and from computing mathematics to pure math like studying the Riemann Zeta function.

None of us here can tell what kind of person you are or what you like. Asking us what questions you should ask and what you should research betrays the good grades you display so proudly. Use the independent thought you seem to be capable of and find out what you want out of life. Then come back with your concerns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook