Advice for first time studying Quantum Mechanics ?

In summary, the best way to learn quantum mechanics is to churn through the maths. Trust the mathematics! QM is full of stuff like entaglement and uncertainty that we don't find in classical mechanics so don't stop on the counter intuitive, just go with the mathematics and you won't get lost.
Ibrahim Hany
I am studying my first -and only, undergrad speaking- Quantum Mechanics course this term in a Nuclear Engineering Department.

What would be your advice for some one who is first studying quantum mechanics?

I am asking about any advice that would come to your mind when you read the question: how to study, how to think, things I should note that may be intuitively hard to comprehend, expected problems..etc.

Note: Our syllabus started directly by a very short reminder of black body radiation, photoelectric effect & Compton scattering, then we headed to the postulates of the Quantum Theory, and then Schrodinger Equation and solving an infinite well problem! (all that in the first three lectures), then we are expected to do more application on Schrodinger's Equation, and then we will spend some time on Angular Momentum and eventually the Scattering theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most useful interpretation of quantum mechanics to date has been "shut up and calculate".

I think it's pretty sound advice for learning quantum mechanics too. The best way to learn quantum mechanics is to churn through the maths. And I guess to trust in what the mathematics tells you about the solution to whatever problem you're working on. (Provided that you've done the maths right in the first place, I guess).

Likes aditya ver.2.0, Ibrahim Hany, bhobba and 2 others
Trust the mathematics! QM is full of stuff like entaglement and uncertainty that we don't find in classical mechanics so don't stop on the counter intuitiv, just go with the mathematics and you woon't get lost. Sorry seams like a repeated post.

Likes Ibrahim Hany
My advice is slightly different from shut up and calculate. It is: first read Landau and Lifshitz, then shut up and calculate, then read Weinberg. :) (Don't take that too seriously, but do try to read Landau & Lifshitz some time.)

I would also add, the reason we trust the theory is that it describes everything we see. So check what you calculate against real experiments: Hydrogen spectral lines, Stern-Gerlach, Davisson-Germer, Planck's black body formula, the Aspect experiment etc.

Likes moriheru and Ibrahim Hany
a) Read section 1 of Landau on Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
b) Use Heisenberg + experiment to motivate the existence of a probability distribution in measuring something then formalize the math with the computation on page 1 of this book
http://books.google.ie/books?id=STNNAAAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
Use that simple computation & Heisenberg as your motivation for using operators as velocity, momentum etc... vectors as states, density matrices, necessity of infinite dimensional spaces etc...
c) Read the rest of Landau, do not skip anything in ch. 1 until you can recite it off by heart, though the ordering can be changed a bit.
d) Read Landau 1 & 2 (e.g. the sections on optics motivate using e^iS/h in section 6)
e) Always think Heisenberg + Quasi-classical
f) Use the McMahon QM demystified book if you want easy computational examples...
g) Read Goursat for the math (Forsyth's single volume ODE's book beautifully uses Euler's version of Laplace's method to solve the Hypergeometric equation in the same way that Airy etc... are solved in Landau's appendix, Laplace's method is in Goursat)

Likes Ibrahim Hany
Landau - superb book - but basic it aren't.

My advice at the beginning level to understand the foundations of QM is to start here:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Beyond that, despite the very high esteem I hold Landau in, its not the path I would pursue. That would be QM demystified (highly recommend that book as well) then Ballentine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But that's because I am primarily interested in theory. And indeed I am with Scott on this - the rock bottom essence of QM is theoretical - not experimental. But that is me. If you are interested in experiment, and want an approach that emphasises that then the following will likely be a better choice than Ballentine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ibrahim Hany
A different advice read Susskind.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the quantum level, where classical mechanics does not apply. It explains the behavior of atoms, subatomic particles, and the interactions between them.

2. Why is it important to study Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is crucial in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works at a microscopic level. It has also contributed to many technological advancements, such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices.

3. What are the key concepts in Quantum Mechanics?

The key concepts in Quantum Mechanics include superposition, entanglement, wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and quantization. These concepts help explain the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Is Quantum Mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum Mechanics can be challenging to grasp at first due to its abstract and counterintuitive nature. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can understand its principles and use them to solve complex problems.

5. What are some tips for studying Quantum Mechanics for the first time?

Some tips for studying Quantum Mechanics for the first time include starting with the basics, practicing problem-solving, using visual aids, seeking help from experts or online resources, and staying curious and persistent in understanding the concepts.