Some derivation in QFT in Curved SpaceTime by Birrell and Davies

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mad mathematician
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 4K views
mad mathematician
Messages
151
Reaction score
26
I am trying to derive equation (3.61) below (the attachments are from pages 51-53).
As far as I can tell, one can get (3.61) from (3.59) directly, just plug ##x=x'## and ##t-t'=\Delta \tau##, but then there's this remark that "##(1-v^2)^{1/2}## is absorbed in epsilon". So I think my "direct derivation" must be wrong, something must be missing in their derivation.
Can you help?

1768411158030.webp

1768411168225.webp

1768411199771.webp

1768411216954.webp
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mad mathematician said:
As far as I can tell, one can get (3.61) from (3.59) directly, just plug ##x=x'## and ##t-t'=\Delta \tau##...
No, because your last equation for ##\Delta\tau## is wrong since it contradicts B&D's eq. (3.57). Remember that ##t## is coordinate time and ##\tau## is proper time. For an inertial trajectory they differ by a factor of ##\left(1-v^2\right)^{1/2}##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mad mathematician
renormalize said:
No, because your last equation for ##\Delta\tau## is wrong since it contradicts B&D's eq. (3.57). Remember that ##t## is coordinate time and ##\tau## is proper time. For an inertial trajectory they differ by a factor of ##\left(1-v^2\right)^{1/2}##.
Ok, now I can proceed reading the book.
Great website! as always.