Advice on same sizes vs population.

• Thread starter RufusDawes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the appropriate sample size for a survey with a known population and a desired margin of error and confidence level. The speaker also considers the impact of population size on sample size and mentions using a hyper-geometric distribution. The underlying equation for determining sample size is mentioned and the role of probability in determining the necessary sample size is explained.
RufusDawes
Hello,

I have a survey where there will be a known population and a number of people sampled from within the survey population.

What I'd like to know is what sample size I should use to receive a certain margin of error which will be set at a constant 5% with 95% confidence.

I would like to consider this with the size of the population in mind. I understand that statistical theory sometimes indicates that the size is not relevant, but the variability is what determines the sample size.

I'm not sure if that is relevant as the true proportion is not known and is estimated based on the survey results.

What I'm trying to avoid is taking a sample which is too small and could therefore be more random than expected by formula which don't consider the population size.

I was thinking that a hyper-geometric distribution might be useful but then I realized that only applies for small sample sizes ? Is this correct ?

I have seen tables where they say what sample size you should use for a given population, margin of error and confidence level but I want to know what is the underlying equation.

I tried ripping off the java script from a few calculators but I'm still not sure exactly the theory is behind it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general idea (assuming a simple yes - no for your survey) is the standard deviation ~ √(p(1-p)/n) where p is the probability of yes and n is the sample size. If p ~ 1/2 you would need a certain size n, but for p near 0 or near 1 you would need a much larger sample.

1. What is the difference between same sizes and population?

Same sizes refers to a sample or subset of a larger population, while population refers to the entire group being studied.

2. Which method is more accurate for gathering data: same sizes or population?

Both methods can be accurate depending on the research question and study design. Same sizes may be more practical and cost-effective for large populations, while population studies may provide a more comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon.

3. How do you determine the appropriate sample size for a study?

The appropriate sample size depends on the research question, desired level of precision, and expected variability within the population. Statistical methods, such as power analysis, can help determine the necessary sample size for a study.

4. Can same sizes accurately represent the entire population?

In general, same sizes cannot completely represent the entire population. However, with proper random sampling techniques and a large enough sample size, the results from a same sizes study can be generalized to the larger population with a certain level of confidence.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using same sizes vs population for research?

The advantages of using same sizes include cost-effectiveness, practicality, and ease of data collection. However, it may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the entire population. On the other hand, population studies may offer a more complete picture of the phenomenon being studied, but can be time-consuming and expensive.