Agriculture at a Crossroads: Invest Now or Risk Long-Term Crisis

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Agriculture
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080919142548.htm

— Declining agricultural productivity and continued growing demand have brought the world food situation to a crossroads. Failure to act now through a wholesale reinvestment in agriculture—including research into improved technologies, infrastructure development, and training and education of agricultural scientists and trainers—could lead to a long-term crisis that makes the price spikes of 2008 seem a mere blip.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The technology's already there, there are just legal barriers (in the EU and elsewhere -- and the EU regulations dramatically change the African continent) to its use. Further, changing US and EU trade policies could swiftly increase production.

Until these sources are tapped I'm not inclined to worry.
 
Developing technology is a plus in every country but the government should also take full responsibility in raising the country’s agricultural productivity. This will be a great help because we can lessen the importing of goods from other countries
 
agentyumi said:
Developing technology is a plus in every country but the government should also take full responsibility in raising the country’s agricultural productivity. This will be a great help because we can lessen the importing of goods from other countries

I think I disagree on both points. I don't think it's a government's place to raise agricultural productivity -- that would be the responsibility of the farmers and the food market -- and I don't mind the import and export of food (or other goods).

And speaking selfishly, for a moment: I live in a country which is a major food exporter, so if other countries import less food it's bad for my country! (I'm not in that sector, but I can't imagine good coming of that.)