Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Conditioner commissioned without a vacuum pump & N2?

1. May 15, 2015 #1

rollingstein

Gold Member

I bought a new home AC (split; 1.5 ton) and the tech the company sent to install it didn't seem to have neither a vacuum pump nor a N2 cylinder in his kit.

I am leery. Is it really possible to install an AC without these items? Can he do a reasonable job evacuating the lines & leak testing any other way?

I've stalled the tech for the moment. Should I be looking for a better tech?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Are the lines 'pre-charged/evacuated' with some sort of air-tight connection? If not then you need to evacuate/purge the lines to get the moisture out.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. May 15, 2015 #3
  5. May 15, 2015 #4

rollingstein

Gold Member

Not sure about the lines. I will check. But the refrigerant is inside the out door unit itself. No external charging from a cylinder.

That's not what you meant by "pre charged lines" though, is it?

6. May 15, 2015 #5

rollingstein

Gold Member

How do they do the piping in a pre charged system? Is it possible to bend & join pipes that contain refrigerant inside them?

7. May 15, 2015 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

They might use pre-charged lines systems with a small auto purge of the gas on the specialized“quick-lock” while the connection is made. Most of my experience is with He cryogenic refrigerant systems where gas purity is pretty important at 10K or lower so all of our lines are purged and pre-charged before installation using special connectors.

8. May 15, 2015 #7
    Gas-charged lines can be bent. Have you contacted the manufacturer for installation requirements?

Edit: Pre-charged lines seem to be rare. In all cases, most of the refrigerant comes in the outdoor unit.

9. May 15, 2015 #8

rollingstein

Gold Member

Sounds fancy. May I ask what kind of systems you were cooling so low?

Or would you have to kill me if you told me? :smile:

10. May 15, 2015 #9

rollingstein

Gold Member

I have. But I haven't heard back yet. This is an LG unit.

11. May 15, 2015 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It's nothing fancy, mainly for cryogenic pumps for vacuum systems.

12. May 16, 2015 #11

rollingstein

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook