Performance Test Air Flow Restriction At Work Shed Louvers

In summary, the conversation is about a shed at work that has louvers installed to allow for airflow, but the sheet metal workers went overboard with the design. The speaker wants to propose removing half of the louvers to improve airflow, but wants to do a performance test first. They suggest attaching a ducted fan to the back of the louvers and measuring the airflow and pressure drop. It is also mentioned that the factory may provide information on the louvers' performance if they are factory-made.
rookie37
At work we have a shed in full sun. Windows were cut in it to allow airflow. Louvers were installed to keep the rain out. However the sheet metal guys did a HUGE overkill on designing the louvers. I want to propose to my boss to remove half of the louvers so that we can get decent air flow again.

Before I do, I would like a performance test. With all louvers and with half of the louvers. How can I do a performance test?

jpg

http://content.screencast.com/users/dchristensen777/folders/Default/media/c540e7a1-5619-4cba-9f50-a0035ad6802a/shed%20louvers.jpg [Broken]dwg

http://www.onmysoapboxx.com/wp-content/uploads/louvers.zip [Broken]

Attachments

• louvers.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Attach a ducted fan to the back of the louver and measure the airflow and pressure drop.

But is this a custom or factory made louver? If factory made, the factory will provide its performance.

1. What is the purpose of performing an air flow restriction test on work shed louvers?

The purpose of this test is to measure the air flow restriction of the louvers in a work shed. This helps determine if the louvers are functioning properly and if there are any blockages or restrictions that could affect the overall air flow in the shed.

2. How is the air flow restriction test conducted on work shed louvers?

The test is typically conducted by using a specialized instrument called an anemometer. The anemometer measures the air flow through the louvers and calculates the air flow restriction based on the difference between the air flow with the louvers closed and the air flow with the louvers open.

3. What are the potential causes of air flow restriction in work shed louvers?

There are several potential causes of air flow restriction in work shed louvers. These can include build-up of dirt or debris, damaged or misaligned louvers, or obstructions in the air ducts leading to the louvers.

4. How can air flow restriction in work shed louvers affect the overall performance of the shed?

Air flow restriction in work shed louvers can negatively impact the overall performance of the shed in several ways. It can lead to poor ventilation, which can affect air quality and temperature control. It can also put strain on the HVAC system, causing it to work harder and potentially leading to higher energy costs.

5. How often should air flow restriction tests be performed on work shed louvers?

The frequency of air flow restriction tests on work shed louvers may vary depending on factors such as the type of shed, the environment it is located in, and the type of work being conducted in the shed. However, it is generally recommended to perform these tests at least once a year to ensure optimal performance and identify any potential issues early on.