Air pressure difference between floor & ceiling

In summary, the individual is having trouble using their digital manometer to measure the pressure difference between the air near the floor and at the ceiling. Despite using a micromanometer and positioning the instrument at floor level with no hose on the "reference" port and a 9-foot hose on the "signal" port, they are still getting a reading of 0 IWC. They are wondering why there is no reading, considering the 8-foot height difference and the assumption that the pressure in the hose is the same as the air pressure at the ceiling. However, it is pointed out that the air pressure in a vertical length of hose will vary with height, making it difficult to get an accurate measurement with a flexible hose. The recommended solution
tinkeringone
Can't figure out how to get my digital manometers to read the pressure difference between the air near the floor vs. at the 8' high ceiling. It reads 0 IWC no matter how I do it. One of my instruments is a micromanometer (reads as low as .001 IWC pressure differential), and it reads 0 IWC there too.
I'm zeroing the meter at floor level, and have no hose on the "reference" port. And I gave a 9 foot manometer hose on the "signal" port with the meter at floor level and the open end of the hose a few feet from the ceiling.
I'm thinking that there be about a 0.108 IWC PD there with that 8' difference in height. Why am I getting 0? It isn't an air tight room, and no fans are on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you accounting for the air pressure in the manometer tube...?

russ_watters said:
Are you accounting for the air pressure in the manometer tube...?

I guess not, if the tube you're referring to is the hose going from the digital manometer to the ceiling. I assumed that pressure in the hose was the same as the air pressure at the ceiling where the open end of that hose is.
Never had to do that just measuring static pressure, i.e. in an air duct. But I guess that was at about the same height as the meter.
How would I account for the pressure in that hose?

tinkeringone said:
I assumed that pressure in the hose was the same as the air pressure at the ceiling where the open end of that hose is.

No. The air pressure in a vertical length of hose will vary with height, exactly the same way as the air pressure in the room.

If you position the hose vertically, seal the end, and then bring it down to floor level you should see a difference in reading. But correcting the reading to give you an accurate measurement would be complcated, especially if the hose is flexible.

The straightforward way to measure this is with an instrument that measures absolute pressure, not relative, and is sensitive enough to show the small pressure difference.

Thank you, AZ, as I too was unsuccessfully "measuring" height air dP in my room with a diff. manometer. Now I see why - so simple. I have tried just now, and exactly, as you imply, it is not possible with a flexible hose as a slightest deformation of its walls causes huge pressure fluctuations.

1. What causes the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling?

The air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling is primarily caused by the natural phenomenon known as convection. This is the process by which warm air rises and cold air sinks, creating a pressure difference between the two levels. Other factors that can contribute to this difference include air flow from heating or cooling systems and differences in humidity levels.

2. How does the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling affect a building?

The air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling can have several effects on a building. It can impact the efficiency of heating and cooling systems, as well as the distribution of air within the building. It can also affect the stability and structural integrity of the building, particularly in tall buildings where changes in air pressure can create wind forces that put stress on the structure.

3. Can the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling be controlled?

Yes, the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling can be controlled to some extent. Proper ventilation and air circulation systems can help to equalize the pressure and prevent significant differences between the levels. Additionally, some buildings may use air pressure control systems to actively regulate the pressure difference.

4. How does the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling impact air quality?

The air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling can have a significant impact on air quality within a building. If there is a large difference in pressure, it can result in stagnant air and poor air circulation, leading to a buildup of pollutants and allergens. It can also affect the distribution of fresh air and ventilation, which can impact the overall air quality in the building.

5. Are there any health risks associated with the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling?

While the air pressure difference between the floor and ceiling itself is not necessarily a health risk, it can contribute to other factors that may impact health. For example, stagnant air caused by a significant pressure difference can lead to poor indoor air quality, which can have negative effects on respiratory health. In buildings with extreme pressure differences, the structural integrity of the building could also be compromised, posing potential risks to occupants.