Airbnb vs NYC: Battle for Short-Term Rentals

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm all in for these types of ventures. Creates incredible competition.
But the competition is extremely unfair. You can't have a regulated market competing with an unregulated one.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Then regulate it, don't ban it.
Or deregulated the other one! I'm not necessarily a fan of Uber's tactics, but city politics are often corrupt and such heavily regulated industries are an avenue for that corruption.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Apparently the battle has become one of Mayors AirBnB versus Mayors with de Blasio.

Mayors AirBnB
...Airbnb's mayoral advisory board include Houston's Annise Parker, Philadelphia's Michael Nutter, Rome's Francesco Rutelli, and Adelaide's Stephen Yarwood

Mayors with de Blasio
Mayors from New York to Paris to Seoul think they’ve found the trick to coping with so-called “sharing economy” apps -- working together. Ten markets are jointly preparing a unified rule book in a bid to leverage their combined size to promote clearer ground rules ... Representatives for cities that also includes Athens, Barcelona and Toronto, ...
 
russ_watters said:
but city politics are often corrupt and such heavily regulated industries are an avenue for that corruption.

I'd say something about "rent seeking", but I don't want a bad pun infraction.