1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Question: 2r - 2s - 1 = 2(r-s-1) + 1 (?)

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, the problem is a discrete math problem to prove that the difference of an even integer and an odd integer is an odd integer.

2. Relevant equations
    If you let m = an even integer, and n = an odd integer then m = 2r for some integer r, while n = 2s + 1 for some integer s.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Then
    m - n = 2r - (2s + 1) = 2r - 2s - 1

at the next step, the answer in the book shows
    2(r-s-1)+1, from there I can follow the rest of the steps to show that an integer is odd but I'm confused as to where this extra one is coming from. I know it's just a basic factoring question, but I'm a little rusty, maybe somebody could help me.. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

2r - 2s - 1 = 2r - 2s - 1 - 1 + 1 = 2r - 2s - 2 + 1 = 2(r - s - 1) + 1

In the second step above, I added 0, in the form of -1 + 1. You can always add 0 to an expression to get an identically equal expression.

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

-1 = -2 + 1

rgv

5. Jul 15, 2012 #4
    Aha, can't believe I missed such an easy solution, guess it's good to humble one down, thanks for the help mates... I'm new to this forum is there anything like +rep or likes that I can give?

6. Jul 15, 2012 #5
    What am I missing? Why do you have to put it as 2(r-s-1)+1 to show it is odd? Why isn't it acceptable (and slightly simpler) just to put it as 2(r-s)-1 ?

7. Jul 15, 2012 #6
    Unfortunately no, you can't give rep; but I know some would have a whole lot more than the rest of us!

It's probably because odd numbers are usually written in the form 2(some letter or quantity) + 1 instead of 2(some letter or quantity) - 1.

8. Jul 15, 2012 #7
    Yep, that's what I assumed. Seems a bit daft to me. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook