1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric progression related problem

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The sum of the squares of three distinct real numbers, which are in geometric progression is ##S^2##. If their sum is ##\alpha S##, show that ##\alpha^2 \in (1/3,1) \cup (1,3)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the three numbers be ##a , \, ar, \,ar^2##. According to the question
    $$a^2+a^2r^2+a^2r^4=S^2 \, (*)$$
    and
    $$a+ar+ar^2=\alpha S \, (**)$$
    Squaring (**), I get
    $$a^2+a^2r^2+a^2r^4+2a^2r+2a^2r^3+2a^2r^2=\alpha^2S^2$$
    From (*)
    $$S^2+2a^2r(1+r+r^2)=\alpha^2S^2$$
    The equation (**) can rewritten as ##a(1+r+r^2)=\alpha S##. Using this
    $$S^2+2ar(\alpha S)=\alpha^2S^2 \Rightarrow S+2a\alpha r=\alpha^2S$$
    I am stuck here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have the two equations
    \begin{align*}
    \alpha S &= a(1+r+r^2) \\
    S^2 &= a^2(1+r^2+r^4)
    \end{align*} Can you see how you might solve for ##\alpha^2## while eliminating ##S## and ##a## at the same time?

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    After squaring eq (**) don't open the expression.Instead divide it by eq (*).This will eliminate 'S' and 'a' simultaneously.

Now,the tricky part .You can write
    1+r2+r4 = (1+r+r2)(1-r+r2).

This will eliminate the expression (1+r+r2) from Nr and Dr.

You are now left with a quadratic equation in r2.Now in order to have a real value of 'r' the condition is ? I am sure you know this :smile:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. Sep 5, 2013 #4
    I get the following quadratic:
    $$r^2(\alpha^2-1)-r(\alpha^2+1)+\alpha^2-1=0$$
    I know I have to deal with discriminant here but do I have to use D>=0 or D>0 (D is discriminant)? I have tried using both of them and D>0 gives the correct answer but why not D>=0? :confused:

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're supposed to be solving for ##\alpha^2##, so you actually have a linear equation on your hands there. [strike]But how'd you get that? It's not correct.[/strike] Tanya basically told you how to do the whole problem.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Sep 5, 2013 #6
    Yes I know I have to solve for ##\alpha^2## but Tanya also said that I would end up with quadratic in r. Is what I have written incorrect? From the quadratic, ##\alpha^2 \neq 1##, the other values of ##\alpha^2## can be found out using the fact that D is greater than zero for the quadratic. My doubt is why not use D>=0? D>=0 gives 3 and 1/3 as possible solutions for ##\alpha^2## while the given answer does not include them. How am I supposed to know if I have to use D>=0 or D>0? I hope you understand my query.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, your previous result was right. (I made the algebra mistake.)

You actually don't get a quadratic; you should get a rational expression. Try plotting your result for ##\alpha^2## as a function of r.

9. Sep 5, 2013 #8
    ##\alpha^2=\frac{1+r+r^2}{1-r+r^2}##

I plotted this on Wolfram|Alpha: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=(1+x+x^2)/(1-x+x^2)
    I have replaced ##\alpha^2## with y and r with x. It gives the result that range of y or ##\alpha^2## is [1/3,3] which is incorrect.

What's wrong with my method of evaluating the discriminant? I don't think the given problem requires me to do curve-sketching.

10. Sep 5, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have to consider the allowed values of r. Not every value of r will satisfy the requirements stated in the first sentence of the problem. That will rule both of the D=0 roots.

From the graph, it's easy to see why two values of ##\alpha^2## should be excluded.

11. Sep 5, 2013 #10
    I think I understand it. r cannot be equal to 0,1 and -1 because for these values, the three terms won't be distinct. So 1,3 and 1/3 are excluded.

Thanks a lot vela and Tanya! :)

12. Sep 5, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted