Geometric progression related problem

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
Just to make it more explicit, if ##r=0##, then the three numbers are all 0, which is not allowed. If ##r=-1##, then the three numbers are all the same and the problem requires them to be distinct. If ##r=1##, then the three numbers are already the sum ##\alpha S##, and the problem requires that they be distinct.
Saitama

Homework Statement

The sum of the squares of three distinct real numbers, which are in geometric progression is ##S^2##. If their sum is ##\alpha S##, show that ##\alpha^2 \in (1/3,1) \cup (1,3)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the three numbers be ##a , \, ar, \,ar^2##. According to the question
$$a^2+a^2r^2+a^2r^4=S^2 \, (*)$$
and
$$a+ar+ar^2=\alpha S \, (**)$$
Squaring (**), I get
$$a^2+a^2r^2+a^2r^4+2a^2r+2a^2r^3+2a^2r^2=\alpha^2S^2$$
From (*)
$$S^2+2a^2r(1+r+r^2)=\alpha^2S^2$$
The equation (**) can rewritten as ##a(1+r+r^2)=\alpha S##. Using this
$$S^2+2ar(\alpha S)=\alpha^2S^2 \Rightarrow S+2a\alpha r=\alpha^2S$$
I am stuck here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the two equations
\begin{align*}
\alpha S &= a(1+r+r^2) \\
S^2 &= a^2(1+r^2+r^4)
\end{align*} Can you see how you might solve for ##\alpha^2## while eliminating ##S## and ##a## at the same time?

After squaring eq (**) don't open the expression.Instead divide it by eq (*).This will eliminate 'S' and 'a' simultaneously.

Now,the tricky part .You can write
1+r2+r4 = (1+r+r2)(1-r+r2).

This will eliminate the expression (1+r+r2) from Nr and Dr.

You are now left with a quadratic equation in r2.Now in order to have a real value of 'r' the condition is ? I am sure you know this :smile:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
After squaring eq (**) don't open the expression.Instead divide it by eq (*).This will eliminate 'S' and 'a' simultaneously.

Now,the tricky part .You can write
1+r2+r4 = (1+r+r2)(1-r+r2).

This will eliminate the expression (1+r+r2) from Nr and Dr.

You are now left with a quadratic equation in r2.Now in order to have a real value of 'r' the condition is ? I am sure you know this :smile:

I get the following quadratic:
$$r^2(\alpha^2-1)-r(\alpha^2+1)+\alpha^2-1=0$$
I know I have to deal with discriminant here but do I have to use D>=0 or D>0 (D is discriminant)? I have tried using both of them and D>0 gives the correct answer but why not D>=0? :confused:

You're supposed to be solving for ##\alpha^2##, so you actually have a linear equation on your hands there. [strike]But how'd you get that? It's not correct.[/strike] Tanya basically told you how to do the whole problem.

Last edited:
vela said:
You're supposed to be solving for ##\alpha^2##, so you actually have a linear equation on your hands there. But how'd you get that? It's not correct. Tanya basically told you how to do the whole problem.

Yes I know I have to solve for ##\alpha^2## but Tanya also said that I would end up with quadratic in r. Is what I have written incorrect? From the quadratic, ##\alpha^2 \neq 1##, the other values of ##\alpha^2## can be found out using the fact that D is greater than zero for the quadratic. My doubt is why not use D>=0? D>=0 gives 3 and 1/3 as possible solutions for ##\alpha^2## while the given answer does not include them. How am I supposed to know if I have to use D>=0 or D>0? I hope you understand my query.

Sorry, your previous result was right. (I made the algebra mistake.)

You actually don't get a quadratic; you should get a rational expression. Try plotting your result for ##\alpha^2## as a function of r.

vela said:
You actually don't get a quadratic; you should get a rational expression. Try plotting your result for ##\alpha^2## as a function of r.

##\alpha^2=\frac{1+r+r^2}{1-r+r^2}##

I plotted this on Wolfram|Alpha: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=(1+x+x^2)/(1-x+x^2)
I have replaced ##\alpha^2## with y and r with x. It gives the result that range of y or ##\alpha^2## is [1/3,3] which is incorrect.

What's wrong with my method of evaluating the discriminant? I don't think the given problem requires me to do curve-sketching.

You have to consider the allowed values of r. Not every value of r will satisfy the requirements stated in the first sentence of the problem. That will rule both of the D=0 roots.

From the graph, it's easy to see why two values of ##\alpha^2## should be excluded.

vela said:
You have to consider the allowed values of r. Not every value of r will satisfy the requirements stated in the first sentence of the problem. That will rule both of the D=0 roots.

From the graph, it's easy to see why two values of ##\alpha^2## should be excluded.

I think I understand it. r cannot be equal to 0,1 and -1 because for these values, the three terms won't be distinct. So 1,3 and 1/3 are excluded.

Thanks a lot vela and Tanya! :)

You got it.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, called the common ratio. For example, in the progression 2, 6, 18, 54, the common ratio is 3.

2. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric progression?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric progression is: an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. How do I determine if a sequence is a geometric progression?

If a sequence follows a pattern where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, then it is a geometric progression. You can also check by dividing each term by the previous term - if the results are all the same, then it is a geometric progression.

4. What is the sum of a geometric progression?

The sum of a finite geometric progression can be found using the formula: Sn = a1 * (1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. How can I use geometric progression in real life?

Geometric progression can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. It can also be used in financial planning, predicting stock prices, and analyzing data trends.