Aluminum deflection with 1,500 lb's of force

In summary, the conversation discusses the reinforcement of a flybridge deck on a trawler, with no building codes applying. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, with a length of 114" and a width of 1/2". The question is how to calculate the necessary thickness to support a weight load of up to 1,500 lbs at the center of the deck. The deck has a 4" crown at the center and is supported by two walls 114" apart. However, it is recommended to hire a licensed structural engineer for this design for safety purposes.
Capt
I am reinforcing a floor that has a 4" crown at the center and supported between 114" ends. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, length between ends 114", 1/2" width. How do I calculate the thickness to prevent bending up to 1,500 lb's forced applied at the center.
Thank you,
Capt

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capt said:
I am reinforcing a floor that has a 4" crown at the center and supported between 114" ends. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, length between ends 114", 1/2" width. How do I calculate the thickness to prevent bending up to 1,500 lb's forced applied at the center.
Thank you,
Capt

Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What building codes apply?

The application is to reinforce the flybridge deck on my trawler. No building codes apply.
Upon the upper deck I will have 4,6 people at a single time (thus the weight load) and must support the weight with a safety factor. The two walls that support the deck are 114" apart. I am not an engineer and don't know how to size the aluminum trusses I will fabricate and install. The 6061-T4 aluminum call out is only because I'm use to fabricating that grade,other grades may be more applicable..
Flybridge decks have a crown at the center to allow the sea water to roll off during heavy weather. In this case mine is 4' at the center.
Thank you for your review.
Capt

Last edited:
Capt said:
The application is to reinforce the flybridge deck on my trawler. No building codes apply.
Upon the upper deck I will have 4,6 people at a single time (thus the weight load) and must support the weight with a safety factor. The two walls that support the deck are 114" apart. I am not an engineer and don't know how to size the aluminum trusses I will fabricate and install. The 6061-T4 aluminum call out is only because I'm use to fabricating that grade,other grades may be more applicable..
Flybridge decks have a crown at the center to allow the sea water to roll off during heavy weather. In this case mine is 4' at the center.
Thank you for your review.
Capt

Please hire a licensed structural engineer to help you with this design. Life safety is not something that can be handled via advice from an Internet forum.

1. How does aluminum deflect with 1,500 lb's of force?

When 1,500 lb's of force is applied to aluminum, it will cause the metal to bend or deform. This is known as deflection and is a property of all materials. The amount of deflection will depend on the thickness and type of aluminum being used.

2. What factors affect the deflection of aluminum with 1,500 lb's of force?

The three main factors that affect the deflection of aluminum with 1,500 lb's of force are the material properties of the aluminum, the shape and size of the aluminum, and the distribution of the force on the aluminum. Other factors such as temperature and environmental conditions may also play a role.

3. Can aluminum withstand 1,500 lb's of force without breaking?

The ability of aluminum to withstand 1,500 lb's of force without breaking will depend on the specific alloy and thickness of the aluminum. Some aluminum alloys are stronger than others and can withstand greater amounts of force. However, most aluminum will experience some amount of deflection when exposed to 1,500 lb's of force.

4. How is the deflection of aluminum with 1,500 lb's of force calculated?

The deflection of aluminum with 1,500 lb's of force can be calculated using equations and formulas that take into consideration the material properties, shape and size of the aluminum, and the distribution of the force. These calculations can help determine the amount of deflection that can be expected and ensure that the aluminum is able to withstand the force without breaking.

5. What are some common applications of aluminum deflection with 1,500 lb's of force?

Aluminum deflection with 1,500 lb's of force is a crucial factor in many industries, including construction, aerospace, and automotive. In construction, it is important to understand how much deflection can be expected in building materials to ensure structural integrity. In aerospace and automotive industries, understanding aluminum deflection helps engineers design lighter and more efficient vehicles.