Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aluminum deflection with 1,500 lb's of force

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    I am reinforcing a floor that has a 4" crown at the center and supported between 114" ends. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, length between ends 114", 1/2" width. How do I calculate the thickness to prevent bending up to 1,500 lb's forced applied at the center.
    Thank you,
    Capt

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What building codes apply?

4. Aug 7, 2015 #3
    The application is to reinforce the flybridge deck on my trawler. No building codes apply.
    Upon the upper deck I will have 4,6 people at a single time (thus the weight load) and must support the weight with a safety factor. The two walls that support the deck are 114" apart. I am not an engineer and don't know how to size the aluminum trusses I will fabricate and install. The 6061-T4 aluminum call out is only because I'm use to fabricating that grade,other grades may be more applicable..
    Flybridge decks have a crown at the center to allow the sea water to roll off during heavy weather. In this case mine is 4' at the center.
    Thank you for your review.
    Capt

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Aug 7, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please hire a licensed structural engineer to help you with this design. Life safety is not something that can be handled via advice from an Internet forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook