Aluminum deflection with 1,500 lb's of force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Capt
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am reinforcing a floor that has a 4" crown at the center and supported between 114" ends. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, length between ends 114", 1/2" width. How do I calculate the thickness to prevent bending up to 1,500 lb's forced applied at the center.
Thank you,
Capt
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Capt said:
I am reinforcing a floor that has a 4" crown at the center and supported between 114" ends. The reinforcement material will be a rectangle bar of 6061-T4 Al,35 Ksi, length between ends 114", 1/2" width. How do I calculate the thickness to prevent bending up to 1,500 lb's forced applied at the center.
Thank you,
Capt

Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What building codes apply?
 
The application is to reinforce the flybridge deck on my trawler. No building codes apply.
Upon the upper deck I will have 4,6 people at a single time (thus the weight load) and must support the weight with a safety factor. The two walls that support the deck are 114" apart. I am not an engineer and don't know how to size the aluminum trusses I will fabricate and install. The 6061-T4 aluminum call out is only because I'm use to fabricating that grade,other grades may be more applicable..
Flybridge decks have a crown at the center to allow the sea water to roll off during heavy weather. In this case mine is 4' at the center.
Thank you for your review.
Capt
 
Last edited:
Capt said:
The application is to reinforce the flybridge deck on my trawler. No building codes apply.
Upon the upper deck I will have 4,6 people at a single time (thus the weight load) and must support the weight with a safety factor. The two walls that support the deck are 114" apart. I am not an engineer and don't know how to size the aluminum trusses I will fabricate and install. The 6061-T4 aluminum call out is only because I'm use to fabricating that grade,other grades may be more applicable..
Flybridge decks have a crown at the center to allow the sea water to roll off during heavy weather. In this case mine is 4' at the center.
Thank you for your review.
Capt

Please hire a licensed structural engineer to help you with this design. Life safety is not something that can be handled via advice from an Internet forum.